Why become a member? ×

The new Bass Collection basses

Allo!

Having had a pretty depressing week, decided to treat meself to one of the new Bass Collection `J' basses (imported via the Bass Centre) - bought it from my local store and I believe these will take off very quickly - £229 retail price, superb build quality, no routings under the s/plate, very highly polished and well seated fretwire, a lovely metallic `not quite burgundy mist more of a black cherry yoghurt pink' colour with a matching headstock - very Guy Pratt stylee! Fitted with Elites 40-100 as standard. The P bass version is also of similar quality; might buy that next week (very tasty shoreline gold finish)!

Anyone else seen them yet? Not wishing to predict the future but if they all come through as well as these two, then they will definitely grab the market at that end of the price ladder.

Many thanks!

Nick

[quote name='Musky' post='225155' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:43 PM']The headstock looks remarkably similar to the SX. I wonder if they're from the same factory?[/quote]

Spot on, they are.

SX used to offer models the same as the old Bass Collection guitars, the ones with the very slim headstock.

If they are the same source as the SX basses, then the SX are cheaper by some stretch, even after import tax/VAT.

the Bass Centre, when the shop was still going, that is, used to have lots of no-name P and J types going for £120 or thereabouts, alongside Jim Deacon-branded basses that looked identical- same colours-
Jim Deacon = the UK importer of SX - it looks like the whole lot are coming out of the same factory.

That may be the case but I'd say the build quality is very high and the set up (even the fingerboard looks to have been highly buffed - very tightly grained rosewood) is superb. Can't comment on the SX stuff as I've never seen one (perhaps I'm out of touch with the market!!! :) - what do I know eh?!). All I know is that I know a good bass when I see/play one and these are very good value for money! Buy one.

Nick

It'd be very interesting to compare these and the SX side by side. Even if they are from the same factory (which seems very likely) the specs might not be identical. By the time these are discounted I wouldn't expect them to be too far off the imported price of an SX.

[quote name='lwtait' post='225122' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:07 PM']these were at the london guitar show, the burgundy mist jazzes are cool! i fancied a chrome red precision out of them all though, that was just sooo cool looking![/quote]
Yeah i really like the look of the burgundy mist there, looks kinda metallic.

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='224502' date='Jun 22 2008, 09:53 PM']Pics please - couldn't find anything googling Bass Collection/Bass Centre Bass Collection etc...

And I'm very curious..![/quote]
Hiya, Go into The Bass Guitar section and look down for "Obscure Musical Backwaters" there you will find a very informative thread is it?... It contains alot of chat and information and some nice pics of The original Bass Collection Basses by
SGC Nanyo.
I have a '95 SB310 in Red,which I play all the time as my main bass. Hope I've been of some help! Paul.