Why become a member? ×

Interesting signal issue/where could I put a buffer?...

bakerster135

Hi all,

Little bit of advice sought, if anyone's had an issue like this before?

Pedalboard pic is below, and c[size=4]urrent order is:[/size]

Whammy > COG > TFR > B3K > SFT > MOOG LPF > Corona > El Capistan > TU-2

[URL=http://s66.photobucket.com/user/albakio/media/20131024_001728.jpg.html][IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/albakio/20131024_001728.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Basically, since putting the SFT in I seem to have a bit of signal degradation. The TFR sounds as though it's lost a bit of top end, and the B3K seems to sound a bit more glitchy than it did before. Also worth noting that the SFT and B3K DO NOT work well together and produce high feedback, although I never intended to use them this way anyway...

So, would anyone know what could be happening here? I know the SFT inverts phase, but I wouldn't have assumed that this has anything to do with it? If I perhaps need a buffer I wouldn't be completely sure where to put it, and probably wouldn't want it before the dirt?

If anyone can help with this, please let me know!

Thanks,
Al

Are you referring to when the SFT is on or off?
It's a true bypass pedal, so it would surprise me a great deal if it was affecting tone whilst not engaged.
Bear in mind as well that you do have buffers on your board already, the Boss, the Moog & the Whammy......whether you like the sound of those bypasses is another question ;).

I've never had a problem with Boss buffers, the Moog I've not tried, the Whammy is famously not nice from what I understand.

Si

Thanks Si, yep I mean when the SFT is bypassed. The whole thing just seems a little weaker, and that pedal appears to react strangely to the TFR and B3K before it...

I actually like the Whammy 1's buffered bypass, not the greatest but still 100 times better than the one on the Whammy 4! Point is that it was all sounding lovely before, but now the addition of the SFT seems to have changed something and I can't work out what!

I'll have a play around with order tonight, but just wanted to check whether anyone had ideas or had experienced anything similar before I start dismantling!

Al

Edited by bakerster135

Have you tried with different cables to/from the SFT? It could simply be the addition of some extra cable in the chain, however you seem to have your various buffers dotted throughout the chain, so there aren't any great cable lengths before or after the SFT.
Again, unless the SFT has a fault, the true bypass dictates that it won't affect tone when bypass (as you know).

Si

I've just done some googling, and it seems to be suggested that the SFT does invert phase, whether this is bypassed as well as when engaged is another question.
Perhaps drop an email/tweet to Catalinbread to confirm?!

Si