Why become a member? ×

Frustration

Bassic

I am sure I probably know the answer to this already but I thought I would ask anyway as I am relatively new to this bass playing

I am learning Stevie Wonders master blaster an do ok until I play along with the song and then it all goes out the window so to speak

I am guessing I just dont have the song embedded in my brain well enough to keep up and play the runs etc

I am ok as long as I can hear the bass line but when I can't I struggle

its a case off just keep practicing i suppose

Thoughts

Playing along to songs is a great way to develop the ear. Better than using tabs IMO. It takes time and practice to be able to hold your own. An idea might be to break up the song into segments and master each segment in turn. As for struggling when you cant hear the bass line, for now just play the root notes in time. Until you get the hang of things maybe try playing something easier or something where the bass stands out more. Learning arpeggios and chords will help you to be able to make up your own bass lines when you cant hear what is actually being played. Also the idea is to be able to eventually make up your own lines.

As I said, playing along to songs is a great way to learn, but it is just one approach. I would recommend learning some basic theory as well as learning where the notes are on the fretboard. "Studybass" (see link below) is a great all round site. My advice is to go through the lessons from the beginning. This way there will be no gaps in the learning process. Once you have some basic theory under your belt, you will be able to make up your own bass line once you know what chord is being played.

Dont let frustration spoil your enjoyment of learning. At one time we were all where you are now. Take it in small steps and be patient with yourself.

Hope this helps and best of luck with it. :)

[url="http://www.studybass.com/study-guide/"]http://www.studybass.com/study-guide/[/url]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1382875351' post='2257384']
Frustration is good.
[/quote]

Disagree. If it's not at least kept in check, it can lead to a person giving up altogether, or at minimum impede progress.

Happened to someone I know. He got so frustrated that he decided he was never going to get anywhere
with playing lead guitar. That was two years ago and he still has not touched the guitar AFAIK. :(

Thanks for your offer and advice ambient
I have the music chart and the song etc

I have broken it up into sections which has helped it's just some of the trickier runs well tricky for me anyway will take a bit more practice I think to stop me from getting lost when I am playing along with the music

I am a relative novice at this type of music so I can't expect to play it like Nate watts overnight

There are no shortcuts it's just a case of practising until I can play it in my sleep sometime in the next millennium ha ha
Thanks again

This is a really great tool I use to slow down and loop portions of songs for transcription purposes: [url="http://www.seventhstring.com/"]http://www.seventhstring.com/[/url] First 30 days is free, so you could give it a try and see how you get on.

You could always slow the groove right down and work on getting it solid - you'd be surprised how much easier a fast groove becomes if you learn to play it perfectly at a slow tempo first.

Practice the bits you're having problems with using a metronome, start slowly making sure you're hitting the right notes, and get the timing right, then gradually increase the tempo.

Use a metronome and listen carefully to how you're playing it.

Like your choose of football team by the way :D.

• 2 weeks later...