Why become a member? ×

Looking for new bass case

bassist_lewis

I've been using a protec contego for over a year but a few weeks ago the zip broke. Luckily Protec has a 5 year warranty for parts so I contacted Thomann who paid for return postage and replaced it with a new one which looked to be a slight improvement anyway (heavier zippers, different rubber feet, firmer looking attachments). But the first time I took it out of the house last night the strap stitching came out rendering the right strap useless. Immediately emailed Thomann who repeated their excellent customer service. however I'm very disappointed with Protec, there's lots of people who swear but them on here and mine was great up until last month (apart from having such great storage that it was often too laden with my crap).

So I'm on the lookout for a new case. I'm considering either a Reunion Blues Continental (they've been around a long time and are used by Damian Erskine and Justin Meldahl-Johnson - very trustworthy endorsement IMO) or a Mono (either Vertigo or M80). Only about £20 difference in price so I'm asking if anyone has experience of either.

Cheers!

Both are beautiful cases, I always liked the Reunion Blues stuff over the Mono. Don't know why really - probably because I crossed paths with it first. I'm not really a gig bag person but the finest bags I've found are these - [url="http://www.harvest-guitar.com/en/Bass-Bags/"]http://www.harvest-guitar.com/en/Bass-Bags/[/url] (just another one to throw into the mix but they are more expensive!)

Damn, also a very impressive list of endorsers! I can 't find any UK prices - retailers but one doesn't have a website and the other is GB Guitars which doesn't have them on the site. They're almost twice what I was wanting to spend in Euros so probably won't be buying one in the near future. Thanks though :)

I have a Mono M80 which is a great case, but not a very good gig bag. I find it uncomfortable to wear for on longer journeys (anything over 5 minutes). Other less expensive (and unfortunately also less robust) cases are far more pleasant to wear.

IMO if you are not going to actually use it as a gig bag (and wear it on your back for more than just the trip between your vehicle and the venue) then it's a bit pointless as a Hiscox Lite Flight case is cheaper and only marginally larger and heavier.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382719411' post='2255955']
I have a Mono M80 which is a great case, but not a very good gig bag. I find it uncomfortable to wear for on longer journeys (anything over 5 minutes). Other less expensive (and unfortunately also less robust) cases are far more pleasant to wear.

IMO if you are not going to actually use it as a gig bag (and wear it on your back for more than just the trip between your vehicle and the venue) then it's a bit pointless as a Hiscox Lite Flight case is cheaper and only marginally larger and heavier.
[/quote]

I do a mix of everything: walking a few miles with it on my back, driving, on the bus, in the back of a van. Think that rules out the mono, so now its between the Harvest and the Reunion Blues :S