Why become a member? ×

DI on a valve amp

badboy1984

My band is gonna do several gigs in the next month or 2 and the set is gonna be pretty long.

My Ashdown LB30 is plenty enough for the gig but i haven't revalve the thing after the purchase (8 weeks ago). I don't use it much at home or practice anyway, only use it for gig.

Most likely the bass will get DI on the gig, I was wondering shall I DI my bass from the amp or play it safe and DI on my MXR M80 instead?

Check out the Radial JDX, you put it between the head and cab, and it has a built in speaker simulator:

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdx.php

This way you'll get a tone into the PA that sounds very similar to your amp. I'm thinking of picking up a low wattage tube amp myself along with one of these!

Edited by dannybuoy

What I really mean is i don't really care what tone i get from the sound guy as long as i can hear myself on stage. If my DI from my amp and the valve blow up during the gig, will it affect the DI signal from my head to the desk? Or i DI from my MXR M80, if the head goes down i can still carry on but use the stage monitor as reference instead of my rig on stage? If that make any sense.

1) Which means if the bass output to the input of my head then DI out from my head

or

2) Bass output to the input of the M80, then M80 output to the input of the head and at the same time also DI output to the PA.

Edited by badboy1984

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1382360192' post='2251106']
What I really mean is i don't really care what tone i get from the sound guy as long as i can hear myself on stage. If my DI from my amp and the valve blow up during the gig, will it affect the DI signal from my head to the desk? Or i DI from my MXR M80, if the head goes down i can still carry on but use the stage monitor as reference instead of my rig on stage? If that make any sense.

1) Which means if the bass output to the input of my head then DI out from my head

or

2) Bass output to the input of the M80, then M80 output to the input of the head and at the same time also DI output to the PA.
[/quote]

On the LB the DI is from the output, so if it dies, the DI dies, so you will need a backup one for that.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1382360192' post='2251106']
What I really mean is i don't really care what tone i get from the sound guy as long as i can hear myself on stage.
[/quote]

If I had a 30W valve amp on stage, I would want everyone else in the audience to hear it's tone, not just me. Any overdrive from the DI out in the head would sound harsh going direct, hence if it were me I would go for a JDX or similar to smooth of the top end, and carry a regular DI or M80 as a backup.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1382360536' post='2251118']
On the LB the DI is from the output, so if it dies, the DI dies, so you will need a backup one for that.
[/quote]

Thats means i better off using the MXR M80. Run parallel output. One goes from the pedal to the amp (using 1/4 jack) and one output to the PA (using XLR)?

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1382362199' post='2251158']
Could you di both if there's enough channels? One primary, the second a back up? Seems strange to have a nice valve head and not send that tone to the desk. Has it failed on you before?
[/quote]

Thats a good point, i think their is enough channel to DI both, just incase. I need to speak to the sound tech guy on the day to see what happen.

Ideally i want to DI out from my valve head for the tone because is unique.

The amp hasn't fail on my before and i have good feeling it won't. I'm one of those player that worry too much when it comes to gig. I think too much if that happen ..... what i can do etc ......