Why become a member? ×

Hello peeps!

Nick Riffed

Hi,
What can I say about me?
I have been playing bass for about 13 years.
Prior to that I bought a used bass and amp from a second hand "we sell anything vaguely music related and electrical" shop that smelled of weed and soldering and put it in a corner and left it for about 8 years.
The bass is a Hohner B2A headless jobbie and the amp is a Custom sound Cub 30.
I still use them both to practice.
I am now the proud owner of 8 various cheapo basses, 3 x 6 strings, a 5 string fretless acoustic and 4 x 4 strings all of which get the reaction of " it's a what?" when people ask what they are.
I reckon in total they wouldn't add up to a couple of grand.
The most expensive cost me less than £250 and the cheapest cost me £20.
I use them all at home, gig with 4 or 5 of them.

I have an Ashdown ABM Evo II 300 1x15 combo for smaller venues.
I have an Ashdown ABM Evo II 500 head which I run through a 4x10 and 1x15 Behringer Ultra bass cabs with Ali cones for the bigger places.

I came to here to see if I could gain some futher info on my latest acquisition.
I have long wanted a British built Bass and decided to go about finding one.
Yes, I play 6 string basses but I like my 4 strings to have a fairly narrow neck. This has.
I wanted to have hand wound British pickups. This has.
I wanted something a lot less common than a Fender. This is.
Laminate bodies seem to be gaining popularity with some big named makers. This has one.
I wanted something with a bit of history to it. This Bass was built in 1963.
I wanted something that would never be worth less than I paid for it. Fingers crossed.

I am now the proud owner of a £100 Vox Bassmaster. Lol.

I'm sure it will fit in very well with all the other cheap Basses.

I am currently playing with a Blues band but tend to lean more towards rock.
(Any Rock bands looking for an aged Bass player in South Hertfordshire, apply here.)

Am I the only one that hates the term 'Bassist'?

:thank_you:

Welcome, Nick!
That intro of yours was a great read, in my humblest of opinions of course. Brought a smile to me face at any rate.

You didn't do too badly with the Vox. It's worth £87,63, but I'll take it off your hands for 90 quid. Fingers crossed. ;)

"Bassist"? Wouldn't know, me, but then I don't have the Brits' sensitivities and sensibilities. Here in Norway no-one would say "bass player". It's just called a "bassist" or "bass guitarist", so please don't behead me when/if I use these terms.
What I do know though is that there are some people on BC who hate the use of the word "that" for people. Yup, there's some bassists that feel that way. :D

Anyway, good to make your acquaintance. Enjoy the threads in the forums in the sections of this forum. :blink: :blink: :blink:
:rolleyes:

best,
bert

Thanks guys.
What's in a name anyhow?

No such thing as a drumist?!!
I wouldn't be too sure on that count.
I use the word count with some trepidation.

And how many bloomin' drummers are there that don't bloody drive??!!

It's that 'bassist' just seems to link too well with words like racist, sexist, arsonist, rapist and bloody cyclist!

Happy days.