Why become a member? ×

Pedaltrain Volto

Twigman

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1383732984' post='2268190']
Anymore reports?
[/quote]
I was waiting until it disharges before writing a review but after 2 4 hour sessions it still has 2 of the 3 charge indicator lights lit.....could be longer than I thought.

I had mine die at a gig after about 5 hours or so (wasn't counting but we set up 6pm and got out about midnight) of continuous usage, but as it was feeding power to effects on the pedal board going through to the effects loop of the preamp it didn't hurt, pedalboard was just bypassed. I think it died at last tune of the night. It was I think Mustang Sally or something like that was being played and it didn't want to power the pedalboard anymore.

Mine died in rehearsal last night after a total of about 10hours use over 3 sessions. Mine was in line on the input to the amp so I was playing along and suddenly nothing....most disconcerting.
As the instructions state it is good for 'upto 36 hours' I was surprised as I wasn't powering much from it ( BBE OptoStomp on all the time, COG custom analog chorus used some of the time & a TU3 tuner used only at the start of sessions to tune up). Does the BBE OptoStomp draw unusually high current?
I think it would be prudent, in future to ensure it is fully charged before every session.

Edited by Twigman

[quote] I think it would be prudent, in future to ensure it is fully charged before every session [/quote]

Something else to remember :-/
I imagine the Volto is great if you're running all true bypass, so you're signal just defaults to your amp when your pedals die, but running anything with a buffer sounds a bit scary if you forget to charge before a gig.
Hmmmm

Si

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1384779104' post='2280547']
Echoing a few sentiments, I doubt this would be of any use to people with more than a 'few' pedals on a board.

I have 7 or 8 and at least 4 are always on. What kind of fall back do you have if it runs low during a gig?
[/quote]

Only that you can plug it in I guess :(

Kinda defeats the object but it works via mains and charges at the same time I think.

Batteries were always a pain, and no matter how good you are at remembering to charge them up, you will always mess up once in a while. I'll be sticking with the mains supply.

Is this a case of 're-inventing the wheel', as it were, selling us something that we don't really need? I mean, we have batteries and we have mains supplies. Now some bright spark has thought up the idea of a rechargeable battery that you can plug into the mains so you can use it and charge it at the same time. Brilliant.

It charges via a standard USB port, so you can charge it in the car or via your laptop; or use a mobile charger. I gig with my iPad - my pianist calls whatever tune he wants from iRealB, and I have to charge that up too. So I carry a mobile USB battery pack, not much larger than an XLR connector.

How many pedals it feeds depends on the current draw of your collection of pedals that you want to feed, as it applies to any wall wart or power supply box.You have to work to your current draw and see if it si compatible, you do that with a wall wart or floor supply too.

If you need more juice, you get another one. I've posted images of my bass pedal board, and I have added a Sony wireless unit to it. Still works fine for a 5 hour gig. If you want to leave yours on between sets, that's your perogative - I don't. The advantages are a quick set up and load out, my rig have never been more efficient. There are electrical advantages of not having hum associated with wall warts etc.

For my guitar pedal board, I use 2 - a Volto and an Eneloop pedal juice. I think there are some 12 pedals of various current draw and it works fine. They replaced two floor supplies.

There is the increasing dependence on USB charging. I decided to go with the Sony wireless instead of the Shure GLXD 16, as with that I have to charge the transmitter via USB. It is a cluttered territory now, but they all charge via the same connector and it just becomes part of the ritual. If you are moaning about having to charge a cellphone you need to wake up and smell the coffee in the early part of the 21st century. If you want to be on the comms network, you charge a cellphone, and you don't if you don't want to.

Edited by synaesthesia