Why become a member? ×

Matt Garrison - how are his basses set up ?.

6stringbassist

I was lucky enough to see Matt play in London a week or so ago (I think anyway).

He seems to really play quite hard, lots of chords and strums etc.

I know he uses a 33" scale Fodera, so the string tension can't be too great, yet he manages to get such a great deep tone.

There doesn't seem to be loads of fret noise, or buzzing which you'd expect if his action was low.

So I was wondering about the set up of his bass, how high does he have the action ?.

Anyone know ?.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='222566' date='Jun 19 2008, 11:27 PM']I was lucky enough to see Matt play in London a week or so ago (I think anyway).

He seems to really play quite hard, lots of chords and strums etc.

I know he uses a 33" scale Fodera, so the string tension can't be too great, yet he manages to get such a great deep tone.

There doesn't seem to be loads of fret noise, or buzzing which you'd expect if his action was low.

So I was wondering about the set up of his bass, how high does he have the action ?.

Anyone know ?.[/quote]Hi Kev it's a Fodera, so the neck will be amongst the very best.
My KGB bass, is the best playing bass I have ever owned, the action is so low with no buzz and I think certain makers just have that magic touch when it comes to building necks.
What strings does he use?
I noticed you had rounds on your Modulus bass and your action was super low but it had some fret buzz, maybe he uses half rounds.
Send him an email.
Still loving the Berg cab and U5, cheers.
Steve.

My Sei is even lower, once you get used to it it doesn't buzz.

I was just amazed watching Matt, I read somewhere that he has the action incredibly low, but the way he was playing was amazing, and with no unwanted noise.

He uses Fodera strings.

Glad you like the rig, there's something just nice about 10's isn't there, I'm thinking of getting an Epi UL110 for rehearsal, and small gigs, my jazz band is starting to rehearse on the 4th floor at UCE school of music, I really don't fancy carrying the 4x10 cab up all those stairs.

I'm liking my new set up more and more, I was sat earlier just playing long notes, varying where I was playing, and listening to the sound, it's just so much more alive now than with the IP12.

Edited by 6stringbassist

[quote name='Funkydunc' post='222637' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:17 AM']I think IIRC that he strings his bass EADGC rather than the regular BEADG
D[/quote]

That would work. I think a 33" scale is fundamentally flawed with a low B... I know there are a few people on here who would argue otherwise... personally I would never go below a 34" for a low B. EADGC at 33" though... well, we really are getting into sports car territory there...

Yep, Matt is known for using EADGC tuning. I think his action is probably about in the middle, because he does have such a strong fundamental in his tone, no clacking or buzzing. I get the feeling some of it may be due to Fodera's superior fretwork, no doubt the frets of his basses are all incredibly even, helping to prevent any buzzing.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='222778' date='Jun 20 2008, 11:36 AM']Yep, Matt is known for using EADGC tuning. I think his action is probably about in the middle, because he does have such a strong fundamental in his tone, no clacking or buzzing. I get the feeling some of it may be due to Fodera's superior fretwork, no doubt the frets of his basses are all incredibly even, helping to prevent any buzzing.[/quote]

Are Foderas really THAT good? Before I continue, I would like to point out that this is not a post to start a flame war or anything. Anyway - I don't really know - I've seen one and played one... but that was just one example. Loads of name players are playing them granted, but what is it about Fodera that people like so much? Yeah, they use nice woods... but so do other luthiers... just look at Sei, Shuker, GB and the other host of luthiers in this country alone. Yeah, they can build nice necks and do great fretwork... but so do other luthiers. There isn't anything in their electronics that is ground breaking... do Vinnie and Joey have a supply of Mojo or something?? Are the inflated prices due to the demand... or are they really worth that much? Call me cynical, but the amount they are asking for is a hell of a lot of money... or is it you pay for the privelidge of being in the Fodera club?

Yes, I'd still like one. But as to why... I don't really know. (Is that the V&J subliminal in action?)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='222866' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:05 PM']I know about his tuning, but surely if you drop the E down to a B, that's going to make it really floppy, which kind of suggests that he does indeed have quite a high action.[/quote]

Eh? But you wouldnt be using a E gauge string for a B...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='222791' date='Jun 20 2008, 11:52 AM']That's it!! I have clocked it now. If I have a Fodera, I can play exactly like Victor Wooten![/quote]

It's always a temptation, isn't it? But your musical persona is a lot more than your bass; it is you bass, your amps, your fingers, your head, your heart, your choices....

I fancy a Fodera too (AJ Presentation but fretless?) but have never played one! I guess I am falling for the hype as well (although Jake's turned my head with his Alembic!!). Fortunately, I can't possibly afford one so I'll stick to my Wal.... :)

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='222887' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:19 PM']So what would you use for an E ?.

I checked the Fodera website, he uses a 100 E string.[/quote]

I'd use a 100 for an E, a 125 for a B - but thats on a 35" scale.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='222890' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:25 PM']It's always a temptation, isn't it? But your musical persona is a lot more than your bass; it is you bass, your amps, your fingers, your head, your heart, your choices....

I fancy a Fodera too (AJ Presentation but fretless?) but have never played one! I guess I am falling for the hype as well (although Jake's turned my head with his Alembic!!). Fortunately, I can't possibly afford one so I'll stick to my Wal.... :)[/quote]

Exactly. It's the endorsement link that makes some people think that if they use xyz they will sound like abc... Of course, Fodera is the exception... because with handing over the cash, you are given the Victor Mojo... or something like that? Or am I completely wrong....?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='222786' date='Jun 20 2008, 11:45 AM']Are Foderas really THAT good? Before I continue, I would like to point out that this is not a post to start a flame war or anything. Anyway - I don't really know - I've seen one and played one... but that was just one example. Loads of name players are playing them granted, but what is it about Fodera that people like so much? Yeah, they use nice woods... but so do other luthiers... just look at Sei, Shuker, GB and the other host of luthiers in this country alone. Yeah, they can build nice necks and do great fretwork... but so do other luthiers. There isn't anything in their electronics that is ground breaking... do Vinnie and Joey have a supply of Mojo or something?? Are the inflated prices due to the demand... or are they really worth that much? Call me cynical, but the amount they are asking for is a hell of a lot of money... or is it you pay for the privelidge of being in the Fodera club?

Yes, I'd still like one. But as to why... I don't really know. (Is that the V&J subliminal in action?)[/quote]

Well, they're the #1 choice of bass for Victor Wooten, Anthony Jackson, Matt Garrison, Lincoln Goines etc etc, so I think there is something about them! There is undoubtedly a magic to them, but they have perhaps the strongest heritage of any custom bass builder around apart from Alembic. As a long standing, top tier luthier, they can charge top dollar. They have a greater reputation for quality than any newer builder. Are they worth their prices? They are worth what the customer will pay for them. They currently have a backlog of orders, so I definitely don't think their prices need reviewed! This is simply the nature of the market. I often hear people saying that "builder X (often Stambaugh) will build you a bass as good as Fodera for 1/4 of the price", but at the end of the day, only Fodera will deliver the complete Fodera package, whatever that entails to the buyer.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='222904' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:34 PM']Eh ?.

That's what I'm saying, he uses a 100 E and drops it down to a B tuning with a hipshot d-tuner .[/quote]

Ah gotcha. Wow... thats a hell of a drop... hows that work then?

Look what I have found - AlexClaber has been here before - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-69259.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-69259.html[/url]

My friend played Matt's bass when he toured the UK with Gary Husband a couple of years back.He said the action was incredibly low,which probably explains why he can play so fluently.Being a friend of Gary Willis,Matt copied the idea of the Willis ramp and incorporated that into his own bass,to facilitate his finger thumb technique.As for his tuning it's mainly E-C as far as I am aware although he does use a hipshot for lower tunings as well.

Gary Husband and Matt Garrison, what a team! Gary does alright for getting to play with amazing basses! He truely is a superb musician himself! I saw him live with Level 42 on the last UK tour and he was on fire at the kit! Can't wait to see them again this year!

I saved up and bought a Wal when I was 16 thinking it would make me sound like Geddy Lee. Guess what? I didn't. Not even close.
It's the classic instrument marketing ploy - why else would Fender have dozens of signature Strats that are basically the same, except a different paint job? AJ, Goines, Garrison etc are admired by bass players so other players aspire to own a Fodera, especially as they are just about the most expensive basses around (plus a 2 year wait) - it is trying to have something that is almost unattainable.
I've played probably 15 different Foderas, including an AJ presentation, MG and VW signatures, Imperial and Emperor 5 and 6 and a couple of NYC's. The quality really is no better than any other fine luthier! Of all the Foderas I have tried only one had something special about it, and even then I tried a Ken Smith BSR6 at the same time and it felt and sounded better, for less than half the price.
With regard to MG, as far as I can see he has a thin, slightly stringy tone which I presume is in part due to the shorter scale, low action and very light touch. He tunes E-C, and at that gig detuned the E to B (sounded crap). As for having a deep tone, well I must get my ears seen to as from where I was standing at that gig he had a thin guitar-like sound - perhaps he should hire a bass player next time he tours? :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='224023' date='Jun 22 2008, 10:48 AM']I saved up and bought a Wal when I was 16 thinking it would make me sound like Geddy Lee. Guess what? I didn't. Not even close.[/quote]

The same thing happened to me when I was 16, I saved up and bought a Kubicki. Sure, it gave me Stuart Hamm's tone, but it didn't give me his chops or writing ability! However, I can see the Geddy Lee Wal tone being very alluring, it's probably my favourite bass tone of all time! Especially on "Hold Your Fire" (IMO the best record ever made apart from Paul Simon's Graceland!)

I really like MG's tone, everyones different I suppose, the world would be really boring otherwise.

Chris2112....... I was just reading a thread on talkbass about DR strings, and happened to notice that someone with the same name as you, I presume it is you, is banned, I'm just curious , what's a TOS violation ?.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='224662' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:48 AM']I really like MG's tone, everyones different I suppose, the world would be really boring otherwise.

Chris2112....... I was just reading a thread on talkbass about DR strings, and happened to notice that someone with the same name as you, I presume it is you, is banned, I'm just curious , what's a TOS violation ?.[/quote]

I like matt's tone as well, especially on the future2future dvd.

Is TOS, Terms Of Service?! as in the agreement when you sign up to the site?

Edited by Mikey D

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='224662' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:48 AM']Chris2112....... I was just reading a thread on talkbass about DR strings, and happened to notice that someone with the same name as you, I presume it is you, is banned, I'm just curious , what's a TOS violation ?.[/quote]

Terms of service violation. And yes, thats me. Apparently, now that Talkbass has a policy of making endorsees disclose their endorsments, commenting that you're not particularly fond of an endorsee's bass constitues disrespecting another member. Talk about authority out of control! :)