Why become a member? ×

NBD 83' Jazz

CamdenRob

New Bass Day today :) 83 Fender Jazz... Just been sent this image by Mrs CamdenRob along with the following "It's Brown, has four strings, the neck is attached to the body and the case smells old and musty... :blink:

Need to try and concentrate at work for the rest of the day until I can get home and give it a whirl...

Apparently that packet at the bottom contains the original strings.... 30 years of finger gunk.... nice.... :blink:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1381230133' post='2236004']
I`d take a half-day Rob, for a cracking bass like that you need to get to it now.
[/quote]

I'm very tempted... Meetings I can't get out of this afternoon sadly.

Who knows about tomorrow though, I mean, I'm fine at the moment but maybe I'll be feeling a bit peaky and I'll need to stay at home? Perhaps I should start dropping in the odd cough this afternoon to authenticate any sudden illness I might develop overnight.

Had a good blast on the new bass last night :)

After the initial disappointment of the case being cracked and bent... thank you fedex... I replaced the oldest strings known to man had a bit of a set up tweak and plugged her in.

First thing I noticed was the weight, surprisingly light compared to my 50th anniversary jazz. Not having much experience of slightly older basses I was expecting a similar sound to my 50th... not so... very different indeed. A much more woody sound, far far more burpy and clear. Took me a bit of messing around to find a sound that actually contained any bass frequencies, finally settled on a slight roll off on the bridge pick up and everything else full up.

When Mrs CamdenRob came home she said it was the best sounding bass I've had and I'm tempted to agree with her. What especially rings true is the higher notes. I'm finding the low notes a touch twangy but the higher register stuff rings clear and true with a tone I can't find in any of my other basses...

Bit more tweaking to be done tonight but over all very pleased.

Apologies I know these NBD posts are a little self indulgent but humor me...

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

Hey Rob... congrats on your new/old Jazz Bass... I likey the one piece scratch-control plates. I would be tempted to put on some Jazz style knobs, not keen on the strat types.

Are those DiMarzio model J's on there... I have them on mine and they sound great, although I've pre-amped mine with a J-Retro.

Lovely looking bass...

More piccies please.

Off topic... did you watch the CLT20?

Edited by bh2

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1381304513' post='2237089']
Are those DiMarzio model J's on there... I have them on mine and they sound great, although I've pre-amped mine with a J-Retro.
[/quote]

They are the stock pickups apparently... I kinda like the sound as it is at the moment. I've got other basses to do the more modern scooped sound. I wanted this for a more organic sound :)

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1381304513' post='2237089']
Off topic... did you watch the CLT20?
[/quote]

I never really got into that after they stopped having English teams in it! Always follow the domestic T20 though. Been to finals day a couple of times with Essex.... Moved to London a couple of years back and I have a season ticket at Lords now, after being an Essex member for years.. Its a bit different to the Country Ground in Chelmsford!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381304772' post='2237095']
Rob, nice score! I adore my '83 Jazz, it plays and sounds like a dream to me. Hope you enjoy it mate!
[/quote]

Thanks man :) I'm very pleased with it overall. Yours has a much stronger bottom end than mine. Have you got the stock pickups?... I need to have a mess around with some EQ tweaks tonight.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1381305523' post='2237109']

Thanks man :) I'm very pleased with it overall. Yours has a much stronger bottom end than mine. Have you got the stock pickups?... I need to have a mess around with some EQ tweaks tonight.
[/quote]

Ahh but mine goes through the POD X3 mate :) But it's rich and deep even direct to desk. Yes, stock pickups. The pickups are a apparently quite sought after, 'Dan Smith era' as they are known. I have read the Strat pups are especially revered. I hope you get the sounds you want out of it mate.