Why become a member? ×

Zoom MS60-B Noise Problem

morgano

Has anyone who owns a Zoom MS60-B noticed any background noise using it? I don't mean the usual white noise (hiss) that you get with all effects to some degree ( usually dependent on the amount of gain etc.). This instead is a continuous high pitched whine - I've measured it at about 5.5kHz.

It's present all the time, it seems, the level varying depending on the FX selected. It's there even when my unit is running on batteries. It's there in various rooms (i.e. at home, at rehearsal etc), and it's there even with a just shorted jack plug in the input (to eliminate noise pickup from the bass).

I'm wondering if I have a faulty unit, or whether this is just due to the budget nature of the device, and I'm expecting too much?

BTW, you would need to have a bass cab with a tweeter to hear it, or feed it directly into a P.A. system or PC.

Here a link to a short sound clip (again, it's not the hiss, but the high-pitched whine I am referring to):
[url="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1313046/Music/Zoom%20MS60-B%20high-pitched%20whine.wav"]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1313046/Music/Zoom%20MS60-B%20high-pitched%20whine.wav[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I've definitely noticed it, but only when using the amp sims, and even then you have to have the gain turned up high and the cab mix high too.

Once I was able to reduce the gain, it got better, even when I mixed cab simulation back into the amp sim.

This may be a fault in my unit...I may replace it with another one for comparison.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1382394213' post='2251763']
I just recieved mine today. I spent a couple of hours playing it so far and I've had no noise/whining issues. I'd get yours replaced ASAP.
[/quote]

Trying to. The seller (from Amazon Marketplace) is being a tool.

I've had a B2 and B3, and both buzzed when being used in a daisy chain shared with other pedals, but fine when on their own isolated power supply. If yours is noisy with the bundled power supply and it's not daisy chained to other pedals then perhaps something is up, do you have another 9v supply you can try?

• 2 weeks later...