Why become a member? ×

Which is the best of the cheaper end Warwick's to buy??

Wooks

The best cheap Warwick would be a Streamer Std – not a rockbass, it’s a proper Warwick. I bought one new in 2003 for £360. It was the single pickup 4 string passive version and I still use it loads. It’s great :)
You can pick them up used for between £150 and £200 (maybe cheaper), and they done them with a 2 pickup configuration as well that I’ve seen going for that sort of price as well.
I’d stay clear of the rockbasses, but that’s just me :huh:

Well you're looking at 2 different instruments here.

the Streamer is a 'proper' Warwick with associated price tag and quality. (VERY good instruments and pro level quality)

Rockbass are a sourced, licenced copy of the Warwicks. So they are not the IMHO the same quality of wood QC finish and components.

My advice is look for a 2nd hand Streamer of your choice rather than a new Rockbass (unless that is out of your price range) .

The wait will be worth it. 2nd hand values could work in your favour at the min......

Warwickhunt will be along in a min to fill out the details! :)

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='221881' date='Jun 19 2008, 02:25 AM']I used to own an older passive Corvette Std in ash with the wenge neck. I got it used for £300 and it was terrific.
imo a much better bass than the streamer Std I owned a little later.[/quote]

the wenge neck does make a massive difference IMO to the feel of some Warwicks, but I owned a pretty standard Corvette Std for about a year after i bought the Streamer Std and got rid of it because I didn't like it or use it as much. Maybe it was the shape of the body (I've never really got on with the Corvette shape) but also it was worth more than the Streamer Std so I cashed in on it. Saying this, I played a Corvette a couple of years ago that had a wenge neck and active pickups and it felt and sounded great, I cant remember if this was a Std though.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='221613' date='Jun 18 2008, 06:35 PM']The best cheap Warwick would be a Streamer Std – not a rockbass, it’s a proper Warwick. I bought one new in 2003 for £360. It was the single pickup 4 string passive version and I still use it loads. It’s great :)
You can pick them up used for between £150 and £200 (maybe cheaper), and they done them with a 2 pickup configuration as well that I’ve seen going for that sort of price as well.
I’d stay clear of the rockbasses, but that’s just me :huh:[/quote]

I'd certainly agree with all that.

I owned and heavily gigged the 2 PUP model for a number of years and was very impressed with it.

I paid £300 for it "as new" in 2000 and sold it on eBay 4 years later at a profit of £50. :huh:

Excellent value for money if you can find one. :huh:

I own a Warwick 2005 Thumb NT and a 2000 Streamer 1PU Std.

The Streamer Stds were and are great value for money, with a ovangkol/wenge neck. I won't be parting with mine - I love playing it and they are fast becoming collector's items.

Because of the slab-like body the Std feels and sounds like a cross between a Fender P-Bass and a higher-end Warwick. I put a Seymour Duncan Pre-amp into mine and it sounds brilliant.

A Streamer Std or a Corvette or will certainly do the job for you. Don't bother with Rockbass when you can get these secondhand for decent money.

Edited by rjb

i just bought a warwick streamer standard for £177 and it is a class bass for the money very well made and does everything you need ive got fender hot rod and geddy lee and musicman but as soon as i tried the warwick i thought that it would make a great gigging bass for the money all i need now is a band doh!

£177 is brilliant for a Streamer Std. The prices they go for certainly don't reflect the tone and build quality.

Because Warwick replaced the Stds with the Rockbasses they get unfairly compared with them when they should in fact be compared with mid range Fenders and Ibanezes.

Wooks: If you find you're a bit more flush you should perhaps consider making Onehappybunny even happier and have a look at the Katana he just shamelessly plugged! :)

[quote name='rjb' post='222662' date='Jun 20 2008, 09:25 AM']£177 is brilliant for a Streamer Std. The prices they go for certainly don't reflect the tone and build quality.

Because Warwick replaced the Stds with the Rockbasses they get unfairly compared with them when they should in fact be compared with mid range Fenders and Ibanezes.

Wooks: If you find you're a bit more flush you should perhaps consider making Onehappybunny even happier and have a look at the Katana he just shamelessly plugged! :)[/quote]
It's a beauty, at the moment I haven't got that sort of money, especially with me going on hols on Mon. But I'll have a look at the money situation when I get back and see where I go from there!! Thanks for the advice from everybody that's posted...cheers!!

I've had my Streamer Std 2 (the dual pickup one) for nearly 8 years and still love the sound and feel of it - it's still the most comfortable bass I've played. I was completely GAS free for 5 years after I got my Streamer and only bought another bass to get a different (more cutting sound) but I always go back to the Streamer Std.