Why become a member? ×

Having trouble...

Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1380487749' post='2226143']
I usually use 45-105 (elixirs). Are they considered heavy gauge?
[/quote]
I was thinking of this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215212-i-need-to-mod-my-nut-help-required/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215212-i-need-to-mod-my-nut-help-required/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

...where you said; "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So, my new bass needs to have the nut modded, as I need to use fatter strings (135 90 56 50). "[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]At the time I thought it would need some tough handling.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1380524584' post='2226411']
I was thinking of this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215212-i-need-to-mod-my-nut-help-required/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

...where you said; "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So, my new bass needs to have the nut modded, as I need to use fatter strings (135 90 56 50). "[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]At the time I thought it would need some tough handling.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Ohhhhh yeah!

Yes, those are pretty epic strings. I used those for tuning drop B, so the tension was about the same as 45-105 in standard tuning.

That's some pretty good remembering though! B)

How about trying a Bronco, they can be had for peanuts and if you decide to sell on you should recoup most of your dosh, would give you a feel of the short scale/mustang experience, I use one myself and there is a big difference in the effort and strain required to play as opposed to my full size basses.

Got to be honest, I personally don't think that riding the GAS roundabout and trying yet another style of bass is going to help much (if at all). Sometimes the only solution with these kind of problems is a break. My mate had surgery on his knee and couldn't do any exercise for 18 months---he hated every minute of it but it was the only way to get himself sorted out. Another friend is a professional (double) bassist and had to take a break of 6 months to deal with RSI. Sometimes these things happen.

See a good physio and take their advice, and if you do continue to play make absolutely certain that you are using good technique. I used to get horrible pain in my hands and literally two lessons with a good teacher made it go away as I changed my hand and wrist position completely.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1380533867' post='2226555']
Got to be honest, I personally don't think that riding the GAS roundabout and trying yet another style of bass is going to help much (if at all). Sometimes the only solution with these kind of problems is a break. My mate had surgery on his knee and couldn't do any exercise for 18 months---he hated every minute of it but it was the only way to get himself sorted out. Another friend is a professional (double) bassist and had to take a break of 6 months to deal with RSI. Sometimes these things happen.

See a good physio and take their advice, and if you do continue to play make absolutely certain that you are using good technique. I used to get horrible pain in my hands and literally two lessons with a good teacher made it go away as I changed my hand and wrist position completely.
[/quote] +1
Go to a good physio and take the bass with you. (S)He can then see the problem and help you get better. We amateurs online won't be able to do so much.

Do let us know how you get on.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1380533867' post='2226555']
[/quote]

I agree about technique. OP, if your technique is not up to par, you are going to have problems no matter what type of bass you use.....big, small, medium... or otherwise.

As for string gauge, 45-105 would be medium. Perhaps your action is too high.

I have switched back to bass from guitar becasue of health issues. I too have back and shoulder problems as well as arthritis and recurring RSI in the knuckles of both hands which can make it incredibly painful to play. Chriropractor sorted my back problems out so that it is much less intrusive, and visit once every couple of months for a stretch and a tweak.
My doctor merely told me to stop playing but I started looking for solutions. I even tried to relearn left handed but that was a nightmare so gave up quickly...
I take Glucosamine supplement 3 times a day which seems to help to a small degree with the inflammations on my knuckles but the stuff that helped the best was to adjust how I played (on both guitar and bass). Raising the strap by a couple of notches really helped me, as did changing bass playing to pick rather than fingers. I experimented with short scale but found that the skinny neck and short scale length actually made it worse. I settled on a wide (ish) p bass style neck and a very lightweight paulownia body as a homemade p bass and also started playing medium scale Aria pro basses which are a great mix of the two. Also very lightweight but you have to put up with a touch of neck dive.
When gigging or playing long rehearsals now though, I still need to put a glass of iced water next to my rig and between songs plunge my hand into to reduce the swelling!