Why become a member? ×

cobolt

stjohn

You're in the "other instruments" forum, so not sure if you're referring to bass strings?
I had the bass strings and really liked them. Possibly an emphasis in the low mids. A few people said they lost their zing too early, but as someone who dials out treble, it seems I didn't notice!

In the end, I went with the Status strings, which I find excellent, and cheaper

I love those cobalt strings, I am all in favour of them, and the loss of zing I believe is a rare occasion, I have bought 5 sets so far 1 of the 5 sets died within one day the other aged normally without premature downfall, I guess there are still some experimentary formula batches being sold and its luck of the draw, but for presence, mid punch and clarity, I will stick with them for as long as I can.

I wish they made them extra long scale so I could use them on me Dinger's :(

Edited by Grand Wazoo

There are many threads on the USA TalkBass.com to peruse. General consensus: a different tone. Some like it as being more gutsy or edgy. Not as sizzly as new steels. Can have a rougher feel. Due to cobalt being hard, can chew frets. Due to cobalt being a more exotic metal, more expensive. For some folks, they do not have the longetivity of conventional strings, whether nickel plated or stainless steel wrap.

I think you got a dud pack DanEly.

I have five basses with EB Cobalt strings and I absolutely love them. They have slightly less zing than stainless have (according to my friends) but they fade slower. They are somewhat higher tension than other strings I have tried (Rotosound Nickel, a little; Maruszczyk nickel, more), which I like. One of the packs 50-105 felt like it wasn't quite clean from the manufacturing process, somewhat oily. But otherwise I didn't have any problems with the others. I only use 45-105 now.

Several conflicting views here then - my MM Bongo 5HHp was strung with one of the first batch of these strings in the UK early in 2012..........and still is.

I haven't noticed any particular change in tension from normal rounds, they haven't rusted and they are still as bright as they were when new, to my ears. Which is not as bright as brand new nickel or stainless rounds but still bright enough for me.

I was so impressed I put a set on my Classic Stingray last year which I gig with very regularly. No fret wear, very loud, great harmonic content and a significant boost particularly in upper mids.

I think they're great strings - I must confess the Classic Ray now has Thomastik flats but that is more to do with wanting a Bernard Edwards sound across the board than any problem with the cobalts - I would recommend giving them a try - the sound is great. And I have experienced no negatives with them.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1380700159' post='2228985']
Several conflicting views here then - my MM Bongo 5HHp was strung with one of the first batch of these strings in the UK early in 2012..........and still is.

I haven't noticed any particular change in tension from normal rounds, they haven't rusted and they are still as bright as they were when new, to my ears. Which is not as bright as brand new nickel or stainless rounds but still bright enough for me.

I was so impressed I put a set on my Classic Stingray last year which I gig with very regularly. No fret wear, very loud, great harmonic content and a significant boost particularly in upper mids.

I think they're great strings - I must confess the Classic Ray now has Thomastik flats but that is more to do with wanting a Bernard Edwards sound across the board than any problem with the cobalts - I would recommend giving them a try - the sound is great. And I have experienced no negatives with them.
[/quote]

Agreed with all of the above. Please can you ask Big Pooper to make a set of 5's for 37" scale so I can stick 'em on me Dingwalls? :D

Yes I will ask the question on the strings forum!! Should be interesting to hear what they say!!

I must say I always end up cutting the end off long scale strings for 34in scale basses because they're so long!! How much short are they for the Dingwalls?

Edited by drTStingray