Why become a member? ×

Not a relic in sight......

BetaFunk

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1380396295' post='2224796']
I wouldn't actively relic an instrument unless it actively relic'ed itself by me dropping it down a flight of concrete steps accidentally. But I love wear and tear on old basses, instruments with history are far cooler than stuff rolling off the production line looking brand spanking new, probably only really relevant to Fender, Gibson, Musicman etc.
[/quote]

Yes i can see that. In the BBC Four 'Totally British: 70s Rock' Nick Lowe was playing a semi-acoustic bass (a Gretsch i think) which has obviously been gigged a bit, had loads of wear but looked good.
I have a 74 Jazz Bass which has buckle rash and a few dings and bumps and it looks great but what i fail to understand is those that appear on ebay with large gouges in them and a lot have filthy dirty metal parts. It just proves to me that they don't get it as no guitar would ever have ended up like that. What's more amazing to me is not that people make them but people actually buy them.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1380359835' post='2224190']
Interesting observation. I remember seeing Rory Gallagher for the first time, in about 1973. As an impressionable teenager I was genuinely stunned that he was playing such a beaten-up guitar (sunburst Strat). I'd never seen anything like it before.
[/quote]

I remember thinking it was the most beautiful guitar I'd ever seen. Thought a similar thing when I first saw Jaco's Jazz. Character.

Some people 'relic' paintings to give them a vintage vibe :D - not so long ago people doing the same to guitars would also have been called out as con-artists, yet now it seems to be accepted by many as a finish. I really dont' understand, other than it's a marketing ploy to sell to gullible idiots who want to fool their mates into thinking their guitar is old, or that they gig so much the wear and tear is direct proportion to how popular their band is. And please don't give us that 'smooth neck worn nitro finish plays like greased lightening' bollocks either. A fake is a fake, n'est ce-pas? Just my tetchy tuppence-worth of course. :yarr: