Why become a member? ×

Can I Re-Profile A Neck?

Billy Apple

Some of you may have seen my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/182246-la-cabronita-porazzo-custom-precision-build/page__hl__cabronita"]'Ruttmoth' Cabronita P build[/url][size=4] on [/size]the[size=4] forum..[/size]
[size=4]And some of you may have seen it attempting to destroy Alex Clabbers' cabs at the recent Bash.[/size]

[size=4]I love this bass. All apart from one thing.. The profile of the neck. I have to admit, I'd not tried any Warmoth necks before, so I bought blind, so to speak. If only I'd ticked the box marked 'slim profile'![/size]

[size=4]The profile is how should I say full, deep and rounded. It is quite a handful. I've thought about just living with it, I've also thought about moving it on and getting another neck, but in someway this feels like a fail to me. So now the thought is to get it re-profiled.[/size]

[size=4]The neck is [/size]absolutely[size=4] first class though. Quarter sawn, graphite stiffeners, graphite nut and a vintage satin nitro finish that really develops when playing. No matter the change in humidity or temperature or strings, it does not budge an inch. [/size]And[size=4] the finger board is a grand slab of maple[/size]

[size=4]Anybody know if this is possible, or had this done, or [/size]recommend[size=4] anyone to do it?[/size]

[size=4]My worries are that the neck would get ruined, the finish would not match up, the truss rod would break out [/size]the[size=4] back and it would lose it's stability.[/size]

Any thoughts please?

Some times you need to know when to walk away.

Trying to "salvage" what many others would consider to be a beautiful neck could be the edge of a slippery slope, with a money pit at the bottom.

Sell the neck un-salvaged and buy the neck you actually want.

My tupp'orth ,,,

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380202762' post='2222247']
Some times you need to know when to walk away.

Trying to "salvage" what many others would consider to be a beautiful neck could be the edge of a slippery slope, with a money pit at the bottom.

Sell the neck un-salvaged and buy the neck you actually want.

My tupp'orth ,,,
[/quote]

It's a fair comment, and one that has gone through my mind as the best option. But maybe what I need to do is learn to love the profile.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1380205427' post='2222305']

It's a fair comment, and one that has gone through my mind as the best option. But maybe what I need to do is learn to love the profile.
[/quote]

I'd sell it and go for something more suitable. Having seen the build diary for that gorgeous bass, and how excited you were to get it, it seems a shame that you should have to compromise in such a way. You even have a buyer already lined up! Not a fail situation at all

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1380222924' post='2222603']
I'd sell it and go for something more suitable. Having seen the build diary for that gorgeous bass, and how excited you were to get it, it seems a shame that you should have to compromise in such a way. You even have a buyer already lined up! Not a fail situation at all
[/quote]

Maybe it's just a stage I'm going through. I'm now thinking that it should be like a great work of art, and left alone. Dunno, maybe it's because I'm putting my flat on the market, didn't sleep too well last night....

of all the things I have to do messing on with a bass neck is the last of them. TBH, I'm playing it now and it's not that bad and it goes with the body so well.

What I was thinking was when I do get moved and settled I might indeed get another neck.. and do a new build entirely! :)[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]I've got an idea to go [/size]completely[size=4] in the opposite direction from the La Cab, and do one with loads of bling![/size]

[size=4]Consider my re-profiling not [/size]proceeding[size=4], but if anyone has had it done, do tell?[/size]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1380224462' post='2222618']

What I was thinking was when I do get moved and settled I might indeed get another neck.. and do a new build entirely! :)
I've got an idea to go completely in the opposite direction from the La Cab, and do one with loads of bling!

Consider my re-profiling not proceeding, but if anyone has had it done, do tell?
[/quote]

I've re-profiled necks a number of times, especially my own. If the neck doesn't feel right, it niggles me and I find I have to do something about it. Saying that, all the disasters you talked about at the beginning can happen but, done properly, most rarely do. The main reason for this is that usually, it is more subtle changes that make the difference. The biggest challenge is matching the finish colour...pretty near impossible unless you get an experienced builder involved and, as the others say, it would then be as cheap to buy a new neck. However, it is the back of the neck that gets altered and does it really matter if there is a slight shade difference?

The breakthrough problem is only going to happen if you REALLY slim the neck down...and by then it would be also unstable. Bear in mind that the truss rod, etc, is going to be in exactly the same place for whatever profile the supplier supplies - so as long as you are not going outside the dimensions already offered, then it is exceptionally unlikely to happen.

The easiest fix to get rid of the 'chunky' feel is to take some material off either side rather than the actual depth, turning it into a soft 'V' profile. This will, in my personal experience, do almost nothing to impact adversely two of the issues you quote - breakthough, instability. It is, incidentally, a great profile shape that has moved out of fashion for totally inexplicable reasons.

However, having said all the above, if you want the neck to look as pristine and even-coloured as when first received in the post, like the others say, probably easiest to buy a new neck and flog this one.

Hope this helps