Why become a member? ×

Copy Conundrum

Roger2611

I recently picked up a copy of a very famous bass via evilbay as the seller couldn't sell it on here, anyway I have used it for a couple of gigs and at a recent rehearsal, everybody has commented on how good it looks, how good it sounds and I was really impressed by just how well its distinctive sound fitted into the original bands sound!

I was so impressed with the copy that I really wanted to know what the genuine article was like so I visited my local stockist and played a brand new bass in a maple finish...I was hugely impressed with it, it was a lot smaller than the copy, a lot less of a handful, it was lighter and felt far faster to play and sounded fantastic...so, thanks to the copy I have now tried the genuine article and I am going to buy one.

I think I am going to ask the local stockist if they can get me one in what I understand is a new Red colour.

I guess the conundrum is for the original company, I would want copies such as this out there because they create the desire and quite frankly from the huge difference between the quality and experience of the genuine article over that of the copy the maker of the genuine article has nothing to fear.

I know this argument has been discussed on a good number of occasions before on here but not having played either the original or a copy I couldn't actually contribute anything to it until now

Hi Roger!

I think you bought my Rockinbetter from eBay - certainly think so from your username and post. I guess your preference for a real Rick just goes to show how subjective bass guitars can be - I found the real thing to have a really awful neck and much preferred the width of the one on the copy. The Rockinbetter's also much bigger and heavier than a real Rick, but I'm six foot four tall so that may explain my preference for something little more substantial. I did have to take the bridge pickup cover off as it got in the way of where I typically play with a pick.

Chris

I think experiences vary considerably. Having owned and played both the original and the copy the playability factor really varies from bass to bass. The standard scale length of the copies combined with the body design can make them uncomfortably large for some, however although neither the best or worst basses I've played I have found them to be of a consistent quality. Having played quite a few of the originals in my time I would never, ever, buy one without playing it for quite a while first.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1380202892' post='2222253']
Hi Roger!

I think you bought my Rockinbetter from eBay - certainly think so from your username and post. I guess your preference for a real Rick just goes to show how subjective bass guitars can be - I found the real thing to have a really awful neck and much preferred the width of the one on the copy. The Rockinbetter's also much bigger and heavier than a real Rick, but I'm six foot four tall so that may explain my preference for something little more substantial. I did have to take the bridge pickup cover off as it got in the way of where I typically play with a pick.

Chris
[/quote]
Hi Chris, yes it was your bass and it is a cracker which was what surprised me even more about the genuine article, maybe the one I played was a really good one, I was surprised how good a copy it is as I think it actually captures the essence of the real thing but it is clumsy in comparison to the genuine article. Given the owners somewhat aggressive attitude towards the sellers of copies I really didn't want to like the real thing but the quality of the genuine article really impressed me

All the 'real' ones I've ever played have been... not good. That's not to say there aren't good ones out there. Mid-70s P basses are generally regarded as dogs too, but the one I had was a peach. It really seems to be the case that you have to play as many as possible before buying.

For what it's worth, I am a big Ric fan. I have played my main one for over ten years. The other I sold due to financial needs.
But just like any brand there are great ones and poor ones. Mine is a 4003, I have tried out 4001's and the newer 4004,s, but mine is just the one for me.
I can pick it out blindfold when compared to any other Ric.