Why become a member? ×

Tone Epiphany

action_panzer

Right, I'm sure this is going to make me sound dumb but here goes...

As you all know I'm thinking of changing my rig at the moment to make it a bit more lightweight and portable, so have been trying a few amps out at shops in the last 6 weeks or so and none of it sounds like 'my' tone. Some heads come close, others nowhere near.

So I was at my practice session with the band last week and I suddenly understood what all that greats say: [b]tone is in your fingers.[/b]

I had wondered why I struggle to recapture my aggressive, growly mid cut-through sound in stores, and its because in stores I play a hell of a lot more softly than I do when with the band, where I'm going at the strings like the clappers! In store I'm shy and don't want to be antisocial (Although Wembley Drum Centre's sound proofed cubicle is awesome), and also don't want to look like a prat as my technical playing isn't that great.

So there you have it...and all of a sudden I'm back in love with my current (but still annoyingly heavy) amp and thinking all of a sudden I don't need to sp**k loads of dosh on a new set up because, at the end of the day, it's not the gear that gives you your sound but your playing. I think...

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1379850767' post='2217363']
How can you have crap sounding fingers?!
[/quote]

It`s possible, a guy I know can play a correct chord on a perfectly tuned guitar and it will sound out of tune. It must be his fingers, as anyone else playing the same chord the guitar sounds fine.

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1379850767' post='2217363']
How can you have crap sounding fingers?!
[/quote]

Well, if tone is in your fingers & some people sound much better than others then logically some people must have crap sounding fingers, yes?

I'm not being entirely serious BTW..... :)

Edited by RhysP

It's definitely down to a combination of gear and player. You are right that if you don't play in the store like you play in the band, you are doing yourself a disservice!

If you have a jazz setup with a small tube amp and fretless bass and give it to Steve Harris, it might not sounds quite like Iron Maiden! There are some limits.