Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker - versatile or not?

action_panzer

Mine is versatile, just don't expect it to produce a 'P' thump - it can't (at least not without heavy EQ).

But everything else is there in the controls.
- Use a single pickup for extra clarity, or both for more of a complex Gibson/humbucker type of sound
- Treble to the max and switch to vintage sound for clank, tone right down for smooth, full-on, bladder-loosening lows

My favourite 'default' sound is switched to use both pups, neck on full tone, bridge on min

I don't own a Rickenbacker. However, I own a bass which might politely be called a Japanese, ahem, 'tribute'. I've spent some time trying to find any difference, visual or sonic, between mine and a real Ric. I haven't yet been able to do so. I haven't had an opportunity to play a real Ric but I'm going from demos such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsRvPivoXww

Whatever others think of my bass, e.g. blasphemy, I just love the sounds I get from this bass. Everything seems to sound good. Playing near or over the neck, or near the bridge, with fingers or a pick, strings played gently or really attacking the string. With effects or without (I got some really nice distorted sounds - though I did so through a non-bass Roland Microcube on headphones - last night). It just seems that whatever I do with this bass, it sounds good. (Must fix that earth problem sometime though). There seems to be tons of versatility. If this isn't a versatile bass, could someone please recommend a bass I should try out to see what real versatility is?

I'm only guessing that the same will apply to a real Ric, as when I listen to real Rics they sound the same as what I have (minus modern push-pull cap).