Why become a member? ×

N(to me)BD (yesterday)

Dave_the_bass

Yesterday was a rather glorious day. I took a half hour drive to pick up my new bass.

Nothing expensive or flash; It's a yamaha RBX270J, that I picked up for an absolute steal on ebay (one was listed on here the day that I won the auction for significantly more than I paid). The ad said the bass was like new. Like new? It was bought 18 months ago and has not been played in that time!

The fit and finish are superb for a bass at that price point. The neck is devine all the way down to the dusty end. I don't know what it's like plugged in yet as I've not had chance to try it.

The only potential issue with it, apart from the untested electrics (which can easily be fixed), is the bridge. It might be fine, but, it seems weak amd flimsy.
If one of you wonderful folks could suggest a decent bridge to drop on there it'd be appreciated as then I won't have to start another topic.

:)

Congratulations! You can pretty much rely on Yamaha to be well sorted in the build department.

Regarding the bridge, take some measurements of base-plate size and screw hole positions, than have a look at [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/"]WD Music[/url] and [url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/"]Axes'r'Us[/url].

Just brought up a pic of an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]RBX270J. The bridge looks no better or worse than what you find on MIM Fenders. Check the dimensions, but it looks like a [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/gotoh-contemporary-bass-bridge-2481-p.asp"]Gotoh Contemporary[/url] would fit the bill for a chunkier bridge:[/font][/color]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1379321279' post='2211123']
Just brought up a pic of an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]RBX270J. The bridge looks no better or worse than what you find on MIM Fenders. Check the dimensions, but it looks like a [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/gotoh-contemporary-bass-bridge-2481-p.asp"]Gotoh Contemporary[/url] would fit the bill for a chunkier bridge:[/font][/color]

[/quote]

If the bridge was as substantial as that I'd be less worried about it.

Mine looks more like a vintage fender style folded steel sheet.

I'll post a pic of it tonight.

Thought I'd do a quick update on this thread as it's easier than doing cartwheels.

I took the little yammie to rehearsal tonight and got to have a good play with it. I have to say that I am totally over the moon with the way it feels and just how easy it is to play.

I was a little bit perturbed by the neck relief when I first got it, but the band plays tuned down half a step amd that's fixed that one. The action is probably still a little high for my tastes, but not uncomfortably so.

The only things this bass needs are

1, a new bridge (I'm thinking babicz)
2, a Hipshot detuner (but all basses need one of those)
3, new knobs
4, jim dunlop strap lock buttons (already on route from another BC user)
5, pick up and wiring upgrade (it sounds good with stock pups but something is lacking, when I work out whats missing I'll be able to work out what pups)

I would say that this bass plays almost as well as any US built fender I've ever played and with the above upgrades it'll look/sound as good as it feels.