Why become a member? ×

Squier VM P5 string spacing?

dave_bass5

Im looking at getting one of the above but cant get to try one out. Im sure it will fit my needs but id like to know how far apart the strings are spaced at the bridge.
I had a Fender 5P a few years ago and still regret selling that. Im trying to get back in to 5 strings on the cheap, so not expecting too much but the VM does look like the closest ill get without selling one of my kids. Not interested in anything that isnt a passive P bass.

I'd also probably think about putting a MIA 5 string bridge on it at some point (i like the look of them, thats all), but i dont intend to mess about with it too much at first.

Cheers for any info.

Edited by dave_bass5

I have no idea what the string spacing is on a Fender P5, although it felt comfortable.

As for why it might be different anyway, i have no idea, i didnt ask if they were different, just asking what the VM's measure. I do know that the string spacing on the MIA 4 string is different to the spacing on the High Mass bridges the Classic Vibes have, so that one reason i suppose.

I googled, boogled, and snoogled and all I could find was this:

Neck Material: Maple Neck Finish: Gloss Polyurethane Neck Shape: Modern "C" Scale Length: 34" (864 mm) Fingerboard: Maple Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm) Number of Frets: 20 Fret Size: Medium Jumbo String Nut: Synthetic Bone [color=#0000ff][b]Nut Width:[/b][/color] [color=#0000ff][b]1.875" (47.6 mm)[/b][/color] Position Inlays: Black Dot Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Squier®

Electronics
Middle Pickup: Fender-Designed Single Split-Coil Precision Bass® V Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone Pickup Configuration: Split Single-Coil

I was looking at one of these as well and I think it is 18mm bridge spacing. Someone on Talkbass was asking if it would be a leap from a Stingray 5 and the response was that it was only 5mm more so should be fairly easy to adjust.

That however is what has been said on talkbass so could be fairly inaccurate, but I have no reason to doubt it. A few guys over there already have them and have started a club which seems to be the done thing on the other bass forum.

I've been looking at see of those Squier threads but it doesn't seem clear what the spacing actual is, although as you say there are comparisons.
Maybe I'll go and ask outright via PM with someone who does have one.

The worst bass I've ever owned was a Squier P bass special 5 string. I found it a nightmare to play as the neck felt too wide and it was very uncomfortable. This was at the time I had a Honer 5 string and a Spirit 5 string, so I was used to 5 strings. Ever since then I've been very nervous about another Squier 5 string, but I have a good feeling about the VM (not that I've actually play one yet).

The problem I have is I do love the look of them all.

As for why buy a Fender. I've been wondering this myself ever since getting my first CV. I understand they look nicer and had a few refinements but I don't feel either of my CV's lacking tone or playability, and for me that's what counts the most (plus spending as little as possible)

I have heard and seen, the sunburst models have really poorly matched body woods, so you get very obvious mis-matched lines on the body. Unless you can go to a shop and pick through a few and select a nice one I would stay clear, unless of course it won't bother you.

I would go for red or white, they look fantastic.

Thanks for the heads up. I had the same issue with 2 MIA black Jazz basses a few years ago.
The 3TSB and maple neck was what really drew me to these basses, its a colour combo ive wanted for a few years now, but if the finish is that thin then maybe ill get one of the others. I know i can send it back if i dont like it but id rather not have to do that, its becoming a bit of a habit.
I love maple boards but do prefer a darker body colour. The CAR seems to fit the bill but would need a black PG on it ASAP, whereas the white looks just fine as it is.
Im not going to move on this for a couple of weeks at least so ill have plenty of time to make my mind up.....and then wish i got the other lol.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1379416163' post='2212325']
If i get it before then il be tempted to use it on the next gigs, and that could be a disaster lol.
[/quote]

Yeah I can see you already

[URL=http://s144.photobucket.com/user/xt660/media/PaulSimonon_zps181f5e9c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/PaulSimonon_zps181f5e9c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]