Why become a member? ×

Superfly cooling

goblin

Well a week or two ago I went and got myself a second hand Ashdown Superfly 500 for smaller gigs so I'm not lugging the Hartke and 2 cabs around every where. However, first gig on Thursday it eventually overheated and cut out, and the Crashdown / Superfry name is now more popular!

I took it out of the aluminium castings and put some rubber feet on yesterday morning, and it got through a wedding gig last night, but it still got warm and I turned it off during the break to cool it a bit more. I know the 1000 watt ones have a fan in them, I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to aid cooling, including potentially fitting a fan inside of one. I don't want to rack it and have a fan in a rack case, as that would then defeat the point as it'll be no more compact than the Hartke!

I ended up carting a full size fan with mine and had it on my rig (and hair) the whole time - epic!

Rack is the most common solution with these as they are a bit notorious for overheating. Other than that, I always liked the head.

Vest of luck!

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1378650524' post='2202767']I know the 1000 watt ones have a fan in them, I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to aid cooling, including potentially fitting a fan inside of one. I don't want to rack it and have a fan in a rack case, as that would then defeat the point as it'll be no more compact than the Hartke!
[/quote]Racking it is the only practical method of fan cooling it. It does work, though.

i got as far as buying a 120mm pc fan and thinking about fitting it over the top of the casing (with the extra case removed) but i gave up in the end and bought a different head, i loved the sound it gave and the preamp was great but mine started the classic superfly squeal through one output first then through the other as well so i bought something different.

sorry if this isn't any help!

Matt

That's what I'm thinking of doing (the fan), I've got a schematics and a VERY good electrical / amp technician who can pretty much fix anything (he's currently rebuilding an original modular Moog!)

I don't want to rack it though as that then defeats the point of buying it for smaller gigs, as previously said. I'll see how I get on :P