Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass pickup comparison

davebass66

So I have had a set of Wizard 64's in my Jazz bass since I built it and had a set of Nordstrand NJ4SV's that I bough a year or so ago not being used.

Decided I'd switch them over as I recently haven't been sure on the sound of the bass at gigs (just need a change I think)!

I recorded a sound sample of bridge, both and neck pickups before I switched and then did the same when I'd installed the Nordys. I must admit the differences are more noticeable than I thought!

I know there are differing opinions about the split coil jazz pups so would be great to know your opinions on each.

For the record all sample were recorded on my custom made '60 style stack knob Jazz, both tone controls open for all, Ernie Ball regular slinky nickel wounds and into a Focusrite saffire Pro interface, absolutely no plugins or effects (sorry they're all a bit rough)!

There is a bit of noise but I must admit this is not from the pups, I recorded it in a garage, next to a railway line so sometimes get bad noise from the electrics!! (You can here a bit of actual pup hum on the solo'd 64's).

I have commented on the soundcloud as to which sample is which.

My conclusion is that I prefer the Nordstrands neck solo's and both pickups. To my ears, the bridge pickup is a little thinner than the Wizards....

Get involved! I know some guys are good at giving some very colorful descriptions of sound (greasy, glossy, chocolaty etc)!! so look forward to seeing those!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dave-evans-9/jazz-bass-pickup-test"]https://soundcloud.c...ass-pickup-test[/url]

Dave

I think the Nordys actually sound a little softer and a little deeper all round than the Wizards . The Wizards have a more pronounced upper mid / low treble peak . Both sound perfectly good to me , though . I would be happy with either .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='lapolpora' timestamp='1378587285' post='2202253']
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Can I buy your 64s :D

You're right about the Nord bridge pickup sounding thinner. I preferred the Wizards on all examples but the Nord neck did sound good.

Nice chops!
[/quote]

Not selling yet I'm afraid, they might go into another bass!..

Am looking forward to getting it out to a gig so I can test them in context!