Why become a member? ×

Help buying a doublebass

incubass

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1378818116' post='2205014']
[url="https://www.musicalchairs.info/double-bass/sales"]https://www.musicalc...uble-bass/sales[/url]

1st bass on the list £800, set up and ready to go. Looks like a good starting bass.
[/quote]

+1 ....something on these lines is where I would start too as a beginner ...not a rock bottom 'cheap as chips' bass but also not a 'performance' bass ...something that is tried and tested, has a good sound, a reasonable set up and can take the odd knock or two.

I would spend the rest of the money on getting a decent pick up & amp sorted , new strings and have a luthier deal with any set up issues ...and to invest in some lessons - many things about the DB are specific to DB and have little or nothing in common with the bass guitar!

Edited by ubassman

So I finally made my mind and ended up buying a Casa Parramón double bass, made in Barcelona. It had to be a quick buy, since I'm recording an album soon (two or three months) and I'm really going to practice hard to see if I can record at least one simple track using it :-) I've been told by a local double bassist that these are great sounding and very well made basses! :)

It's a fully carved bass, here follow the pics! 4000€ with adjustable bridge (wheels), thomastik spirocore strings, set up, a semi-rigid case and dave gage pickup.

Edited by incubass

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1378765344' post='2204561']
The nice gentleman asking for advice is at a pre-beginner stage in his double bass career. A Bryant or a Martin may be a trifle optimistic as a first bass....a bit like buying a Jaguar before starting driving lessons.
It is great to start as a pro on another instrument: this will help hugely with musicality as a whole, but the development of 2 good double bass hands will take considerable investment in time time time and patience (and pain). Many fall along the way, so probably best to aim low at the very beginning, at least you can keep your first bass as a deputy bass when you graduate to your fancy one. There are plenty of well made basses at mid-low price points as the Thomann website illustrates. By the way, Nobody is likely to care about how posh a bass is on a pop/folk music stage (I personally testify to this), and you can make excellent music on a modest bass too.
[/quote]

Can't completely agree. I have come on leaps and bounds since I got a decent bass, because it's a joy to play. If the OP has the budget and is committed then it's probably better to spend a little more than the 'budget' end of the market and have an instrument that won't depreciate in value and won't be a detriment to their development as a musician. But a Bryant or a Martin may be a bit much, I agree, there are lots of decent second hand shop basses about and they are easy enough to sell.