Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trace Elliot cutting out

Dr_Matt

Hi Guys,

I've got a Trace Elliot GP7-SM 150W combo, which has an intermittent problem that is driving me mad!

It occasionally cuts out with an audible 'thump'. This can be after 5 mins of playing, or a couple of hours. When it happens, the DI output still works (it is used in a church band and DI'd to the desk), but the speaker does not work. It often comes on again after a few minutes, but can then cut out again without warning.

I've had it looked at by a good tech and he couldn't find any fault. He charged me £75 but the fault remains.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Matt

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1377461880' post='2187879']
Try it with an extension speaker,
[/quote]

I was thinking along those lines. Dodgy speaker, or the connecting cable.

Does it have protection on the speaker outputs? Perhaps there's a faulty cable/connection that's causing a short circuit now and again (vibration perhaps) and tripping the protection circuitry?

Just a thought...

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1377461880' post='2187879']
Try it with an extension speaker, if the fault resolves then the speaker is at fault. If the problem remains then it could be the power amp.
[/quote]

I'll give that a try, thanks.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1377462402' post='2187881']
Sounds very much like the power amp shutting down. Does it get hot or are there any other signs? It seems that you have a different idea of a good tech!
[/quote]

It doesn't get hot or give any other indication that there's a problem. The tech I used has a good reputation, but intermittent faults are the worst to find! I think it will have to go back to him.

• 4 weeks later...

If there is a fan, is it running properly - ie all the time? These have a temp switch in the heatsink which shuts the speakers off when the temp gets to about 100 C to shut off heavy current flow and thus cool the power amp down, and switches back on when the temp drops to about 85C. If the fan is not doing its thing properly this may be causing the power amp module to heat up too much. The temp switch only affects the speaker output so if all else is working then this could b the cause. The temp switch itself may be faulty of course.

Cheers

Geoff