Why become a member? ×

Anyone catch Chic Live on the Urban Channel?

molan

Just flitting around the Sky channels in between the footy earlier today and came across Chic Live in Japan from 2003.

At times it was a bit like watching a tribute band playing Chic's greatest hits but there were some very cool moments. Most notably just listening to Nile Rodgers' great guitar playing.

Omar Hakim was, of course, pretty damn impressive on drums. Couldn't quite make my mind up about Jerry Barnes, he certainly didn't play Bernard Edwards' bass lines note for note and at times I thought he was overplaying - and let's face it Edwards wasn't exactly 'economical' with his notes. Could just be that I will only ever hear those bass laines the way they were originally played so anyone else is going to sound kinda 'wrong' to me.

Here's an example of Barnes' playing from a more recent gig. If the slapping gets too much just wait until Nile joins in on super funky guitar about half way through :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxTNIi2g14&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxTNIi2g14...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='218632' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:07 PM']Wow that You Tube clip is awesome - thanks for sharing it with us!

Shame I missed them on Sky - you do get some great gigs on the more obscure channels at times.

Nice onw.

Mark[/quote]

I've been doing some work with Sky recently around their music programming. There really is some good stuff kicking around but you have to work hard to find it!

One of my recent faves was some gospel on BET. I have to own up I've never even heard of Urban TV before. The ones I usually have a quick look at are Sky Arts, performance & Mainstream as they are all quite close on the on screen programming guide.

I'm guessing Chic will be repeated at some time but I've just had a quick look and can't spot it in the next 7 days.

I've really got into using the new programme guide on Sky.com and then remote recording on my Sky+ box. You have to register to do this but means I can pick my programmes sitting at my desk at work & then watch them when I get in. Can't do series record like this yet though.

Drives the wife mad as I keep filling the box with music stuff. This week was Led Zep, some gospel, Quincy Jones and then Chic tonight :)

[quote name='molan' post='218596' date='Jun 13 2008, 10:08 PM']Here's an example of Barnes' playing from a more recent gig. If the slapping gets too much just wait until Nile joins in on super funky guitar about half way through :huh:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxTNIi2g14&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxTNIi2g14...feature=related[/url][/quote]

That doesn't sound at all like Chic. It doesn't work without Bernard. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='218681' date='Jun 14 2008, 02:50 AM']That doesn't sound at all like Chic. It doesn't work without Bernard. :)[/quote]

I don't know if you tried any of the more obviously Chic songs from the same gig that are on YouTube but I totally agree that it just doesn't sound "right" somehow.

I think it's really interesting that without Bernard Edwards it's all a bit "tribute band" even though you've got the other half of the core band playing?

Just goes to show that when someone has a particularly distinctive signature sound they simply can't be replaced by another player who may be technically as good.