Why become a member? ×

Turning an active bass into a passive bass?

mikebass84

I have an Ibanez SR405 which I love. Plays really well and is my favourite bass to play. She's an active bass and has always had a really low output. I've tried super expensive batteries as well as the cheap ones and no difference.

Just wondering how I would go about turning her into a passive bass? I'm pretty sure the pickups are passive so is it just a matter of taking out the preamp and then rewiring the pups?

I don't know anything about the SR405 but, yes, if the pickups are passive, then you could just take the preamp out.

You could probably jury rig a temporary output from one of the pickups direct to a jack, and then you could see if the output is likely to be higher passive than active. I'd definitely do that before doing any proper change. Generally speaking the passive output shouldn't be higher than the active - typically actives should provide a hotter signal . But there are plenty of counter-examples, so it's worth testing.

I bought a complete, pre-cabled pre-amp from a US shop on the 'bay for very little (£20 or so, I seem to remember...) which was a doddle to fit as replacement for the original failed unit. If your present pre-amp is low o/p (apparently many of that model were...), then swapping for another pre-amp should do the trick. Not expensive (if you're not after a top-end pre-amp...) and an easy fix, keeping the functionality of an active bass..?
Hope this helps...

It does not automatically follow that active bass == high output. Are you plugging it into the "Active" input on your amp, or engaging an active signal pad via a switch? Try using the "Passive" input or not engaging the Active switch. Of course, if your amp doesn't have either of these facilities then never mind! :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377522316' post='2188413']
It does not automatically follow that active bass == high output. Are you plugging it into the "Active" input on your amp, or engaging an active signal pad via a switch? Try using the "Passive" input or not engaging the Active switch. Of course, if your amp doesn't have either of these facilities then never mind! :)
[/quote]
+1 on is. Don't use the "active" input unless you've got some clipping you want to get rid of.

But the suggestion about raising the pickups is also a good one - that can make a big difference.