Why become a member? ×

Epi EB0 mod and rewire problem

69precision

Hi,

I've just added an Allparts bridge pick up to an Epi EB0 and plan to use dual concentric pots to give T & V for each pup without extra routing, no switching either, just as early Jazz basses.

The pots are 500K log(audio taper) and the caps are .047mf Spragues, the Mudbucker is about 1.4K resistance and the Allparts is stated as 10K and there lies the problem. I've tried 3 different circuits and none work without the most wierd interaction, pops, clicks and low output rule; either pup wired on its own is fine, it's when you wire both together that the problem starts.

I've used a doubled up standard Gibson/Epiphone T&V circuit, the Alpha recommended one plus a variation on the theme. So, will I need to add resistors to bring the Mudbucker up to 10K too and won't that cut its power/signal as I like its sound? Also, I don't want to use a switch.

Please can anyone help here.

Cheers,

Chris.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1377262698' post='2185504']
v/t/v/t can be a right pain in the ar$e as the pickup volumes interact with each other. I've been down that road before and it didn't end well

You'd be better off with standard jazz bass wiring v/v/t
[/quote]
Cheers for the thought Dell, I think it's the differing resistances but I'll bear it in mind if all else fails : )
Chris.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377263101' post='2185518']
Are the pickups in phase? Try swapping the hot/ground wires of ONE of the pickups and see if that helps?
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply, yes, both pups are in phase, core to core, earth to earth but I will try your idea, if only to eliminate every possible 'fault'.
Chris.

Edited by 69precision

They're now wound with thicker wire to keep the output the same but with a super low resistance to get more top end, mine sounds fine on the bass end but the attack is very synthetic which is why I've added the Allparts bridge pickup.....if only I could get it all to work. Might have to wire it stereo and run it into a mini mixer before the amp at this rate.