Why become a member? ×

2 cab speaker ohms and 8ohms one 4

slystewart

What Wayne says.
If you still are going to mismatch actual impedance (2.67 Ohm in this case) with output transformer impedance, then it is normally a better idea to have the cab have less impedance - not more as one would expect due to experience with solid state power stages.
That would mean connecting it to the 4 Ohm output.

[b]However[/b], I have no idea how flexible the SVT is, and in this case choosing the 2 Ohm output might be better.
I know this is of little help, but I thought mentioning the general idea was better than not mentioning it.

Maybe a pro chimes in.

Not a pro, but I do understand that the impedance is a nominal figure which changes with frequency. Lower frequencies result in lower impedances, the 4Ohms is a nominal average. You may never be operating at 2.67Ohms.

I suppose an extended question would be 'what are the warning signs if the impedance is too low?'.

Back to waiting for a pro.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1377220229' post='2185040']
Not a pro, but I do understand that the impedance is a nominal figure which changes with frequency. Lower frequencies result in lower impedances, the 4Ohms is a nominal average. You may never be operating at 2.67Ohms.
[/quote]

Yup. It differs by frequency, and is represented by a curve, and that curve has relative changes with excursion. One can never talk about one impedance curve. It's a set of curves.
So yes indeed, it's a very nominal figure. Still one that I wouldn't dare taking lightly, but I'm no pro either.