Why become a member? ×

Headphones

Bilbo

I bought a 4GB MP3 player a couple of months ago from Argos, nothing fancy, just a little USB stick. It will hold hundreds of tracks (500+) so is plenty good enough for me (it is still nowehere near full). iPODs are too expensive for me to even consider them and I can't see me needing to carry around 10,000 tracks.

Anyway, the headphones went today so I went to HMV and bought some Sennheiser in-ear phones for £12. WHAM!! - my pissy little 'Amstrad' MP3 player is now a Bose!!! Obviously I knew better headphones would improve the sound but I never realised how much! Coincidentally, the player was in the middle of a John Scofield track when I changed over and Steve Swallow was playing - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Swallow sounds even better than brilliant.

An up-grade for £12. Cool :)

In-ear headphones are the business, especially for listening to bass. The problem I have is I have to wear earing aids cos I'm partiallty deaf....I said I'm deaf :) So I don't use mine much cos it's a hassle to take my ears out and plug the headphones in. But I suppose I should just stop being lazy!! So welcome to the in-ear club, or in my case semi-permanant in ear club :huh:

Edited by Wooks

[quote name='ped' post='218291' date='Jun 13 2008, 01:31 PM']I never understand why they ship MP3 players with such crap headphones. I know it is a cost thing but honestly I think they would be better off not bothering at all.[/quote]
Totally agree with you on this Ped, they always seem to come with those pissy things that don't stay in your ears unless you've got your head clamped in a vice and make bass sound like somebody farting in a tin can. So yeah why do they bother??? :)
I think it's a conspiracy between the MP3 and headphone manufacturers, they know that unless your tone deaf or even deaf your going to go out and buy a decent set of headphones :huh:

Discerning consumers are few and far between. It is far more sensible for the manufacturers to provide "the complete (crap) package" so that people who don't know the first thing about sound quality (which is most people) can get going straight out of the box.

Edited by neepheid