Why become a member? ×

New Youtube Double Bass Lessons

geoffbassist

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1395948936' post='2408346']
love your lessons, i watched all of them over and over, brilliant
[/quote]

That's great to hear and I appreciate the feedback. :)

I've just released the second of a two part tutorial on playing bebop style lines on the double bass. Here's both videos. I hope you enjoy them, cheers Geoff

http://youtu.be/mciFpu-ya-s

http://youtu.be/x2OaLZq3614

Edited by geoffbassist

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

...And here's the follow up lesson which I just released outlining some simple approaches to soloing over the same tune. There's also one on walking bass which I will post below. I hope you enjoy them. Cheers Geoff

http://youtu.be/gZM2w_T-QIs

http://youtu.be/IuuwGRm-yqo

Edited by geoffbassist

Brilliant as ever Geoff, I have a lesson with Jake on Sunday and as I have been slacking off a bit lately I have been doing a bit of homework, we left on 2-5-1 at the end of our last session so I will be starting with your lesson #37 as a basis which I have just been playing around with, where we end up from there is anyones guess, :lol: Thanks again and am I right in thinking you are coming to the Derby bash on the 5th of Oct? I would love to thank you in person as I really have used your lessons and advice on here since day one on my Stagg then the Gedo! :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406836068' post='2515232']
Brilliant as ever Geoff, I have a lesson with Jake on Sunday and as I have been slacking off a bit lately I have been doing a bit of homework, we left on 2-5-1 at the end of our last session so I will be starting with your lesson #37 as a basis which I have just been playing around with, where we end up from there is anyones guess, :lol: Thanks again and am I right in thinking you are coming to the Derby bash on the 5th of Oct? I would love to thank you in person as I really have used your lessons and advice on here since day one on my Stagg then the Gedo! :D
[/quote]

Hey Pete, good to hear from you and am glad your playing is going so well. I'm going to the bash in Derby so it will be great to catch up then, cheers Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another good lesson Geoff, it is interesting what you say about not worrying too much on the gig, generally I dont and the audience appear to have enjoyed it so I will continue to try not to get too hung up on that live. I agree about the tuner too, I used a polytune at first which got me in the ballpark but I did find myself looking at it all the time rather than listening! I forget how far I have come from day one but trying to find the first few notes was a challenge at first without it "are they really that far apart?, is the A on the E string really that far up the neck!", Jake will tell you my problem area is still the 5th to 7th notes on each string, I really have to reach for them usually coming up flat for the first minutes practice but I am getting there :D

Thanks again :)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1409254696' post='2538079']
I'm loving these lessons. I'm an EUB virgin (I know it's not a real DB, but I can't fit a real one in the house) and the stuff about hand positioning has already made playing so much easier.
[/quote]
I started on the Stagg and still use it live, all of the lessons transfer well to EUB or DB and are still a must for EUB to play it properly, blagging finger per fret will only get you so far then you get tied in a knot! I know, I tried it, Lol.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1409254696' post='2538079']
I'm loving these lessons. I'm an EUB virgin (I know it's not a real DB, but I can't fit a real one in the house) and the stuff about hand positioning has already made playing so much easier.
[/quote]
Glad they are helping and I think the Stagg basses are a great instrument to get started with...they really do sound great, play well and are amazing value!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409256363' post='2538100']
Another good lesson Geoff, it is interesting what you say about not worrying too much on the gig, generally I dont and the audience appear to have enjoyed it so I will continue to try not to get too hung up on that live. I agree about the tuner too, I used a polytune at first which got me in the ballpark but I did find myself looking at it all the time rather than listening! I forget how far I have come from day one but trying to find the first few notes was a challenge at first without it "are they really that far apart?, is the A on the E string really that far up the neck!", Jake will tell you my problem area is still the 5th to 7th notes on each string, I really have to reach for them usually coming up flat for the first minutes practice but I am getting there :D

Thanks again :)
[/quote]

Hey Pete, that's good to hear its going well and I agree about the 5th-7th notes as just before you reach the neck heel can be pretty tricky. For me shifting fixed that as if I can move from half position accurately it all works a lot better.
I'm looking forward to catching up at the bass bash in October, its going to be a great day and really good fun to put a face to a name with my fellow basschatters! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here's a new lesson on one of my favourite aspects of playing bass, pedal tones. [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#292f33]I've also teamed up with guitarist Danny Maddocks who's accompanying me on the standard Beautiful Love. I hope you enjoy it! Cheers Geoff [/color][/font][/size]http://youtu.be/rTz_85Wvgnw

Edited by geoffbassist

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...