Why become a member? ×

New Youtube Double Bass Lessons

geoffbassist

I'm alive folks, thanks for the kind words :)
Up and about today so I will get onto some reading and DVD watching, I might get my bass in for a once over while I cant play it and to stop me trying until I should! Getting the nut as low as possible might be a good idea now and was something I fancied having done anyway, as it was playing rattle free I dont want to mess with it myself, I might get her to fit my K&K better too as I am not sure how snug it should be, a general once over and an opinion on how good or bad the bass is would be handy as I dont know a lot really.

I will be watching all your clips over and over Geoff, thanks again for these lessons they have really bought me along in the last few weeks :D

I've enjoyed using the app "Karajan" on iOS, maybe there's an android version? It's dead useful, customisable and keeps track of which bits you find hard. I also use something just called "Ear Trainer", which is good for spotting cadences/chord progressions (amongst other things). Ear training can be a huge ballache, but that feeling of being able to hear stuff on the gig is unbeatable!

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1379493207' post='2213212']
Hope the recovery goes well Pete!

Have you considered some ear training while you're laid up? Heaving intervals clearly can really help with intonation, at least as much so as physical technique.
[/quote]

+1 Great suggestion, I used to practice with an ear training and rhythm training apps. They can both be quite addictive!
There's also a lot of good free ear training websites like this one: http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval

Hey guys, just to let you know I have a new lesson out today. It's about how to use the neck heel to play across the fingerboard, rather than just moving up and down the G string. This really helps with intonation issues in the middle of the neck.

There's also a pretty easy blues piece in there to give you something fun to practice the technique with.

I hope you enjoy it.
Cheers Geoff

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rstwR2rnaEQ[/media]

Another great lesson Geoff! I 'discovered' something similar a few weeks ago and I've been trying to get more comfortable in that area of the neck, but your lesson is much clearer and more succinct than the somewhat muddy concepts that were drifting round my head - thanks again for sharing this great advice.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1379606190' post='2214764']
Ready to get stuck unto some of your lessons now Geoff. Got Matilda back now and she's greatly improved. Much better action, and the Eva Pirazzi's are just sublime. Yep, raring to go. :)
[/quote]
Awesome Ian, I really like the look of your bass, I hope your enjoying practising :-)

Here's a new lesson following on from my last one on harmonics. Just giving a few examples of where I use them in my lines....Apologies for the somewhat heavy breathing the lapel mic picked up :-)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O8XDE8AqyQ[/media]

Two lessons that have really stood out for me so far are the right hand technique and the shifting lesson that's split into to parts. Using the arm properly to almost squeeze and then release the string, suddenly gives some semblance of dynamics. As for shifting, the idea that by remaining in contact with the string, you not only 'measure' the distance, but can also hear it has been a bit of a revelation. Clear, informative, logical and inviting. Great lessons — they really are.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1380981685' post='2233085']
Two lessons that have really stood out for me so far are the right hand technique and the shifting lesson that's split into to parts. Using the arm properly to almost squeeze and then release the string, suddenly gives some semblance of dynamics. As for shifting, the idea that by remaining in contact with the string, you not only 'measure' the distance, but can also hear it has been a bit of a revelation. Clear, informative, logical and inviting. Great lessons — they really are.
[/quote]

That's awesome Ian. They are probably my 2 main topics in terms of explaining how to get about the bass that I think are often overlooked. The left hand shape is of course a huge topic, but much more obvious. Shifting and using the neck heel are so crucial. I don't think of the traditional positions at all.

I'm looking forward to filming several lessons covering thumb position. Some lessons looking at using the bow ....as well as a funk tune that I think will be fun to play.

Good luck with the stitches Pete. Take it steady when you start back again and I hope you will be enjoying playing in no time :-)

Geoff, these videos are [i][b]absolutely brilliant[/b][/i].

For someone like me coming back to bass-playing (and not even a proper EUB, apparently <_< ) so many years after I got rid of my DB, and never having had any formal lessons, this is exactly what I need to kickstart the whole thing off again. You are an absolute star. Next time I get to Leeds, there are several pints heading your way.

Thanks loads

Steve

[quote name='Steeve85' timestamp='1381155072' post='2235041']
Geoff, these videos are [i][b]absolutely brilliant[/b][/i].

For someone like me coming back to bass-playing (and not even a proper EUB, apparently <_< ) so many years after I got rid of my DB, and never having had any formal lessons, this is exactly what I need to kickstart the whole thing off again. You are an absolute star. Next time I get to Leeds, there are several pints heading your way.

Thanks loads

Steve
[/quote]

That's awesome Steve! Thanks for your feedback mate.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1381400067' post='2238437']
Congratulations on your series of lessons . Thought ful and brimming with clarity. You manage to get to the 'good stuff' in such a short time. Looking forward to checking them all out.
[/quote]

Thanks I really appreciate your great feedback. I'm prone to waffling so some brutal editing usually keeps it watchable! :-)

Here's a new one on using articulations in your lines...Hammer ons, pull offs and slides.
http://youtu.be/169a2JSphHA

• 2 weeks later...

This time I'm looking at playing funk on the upright bass. I hope you enjoy it and have a great halloween! (I was dying to release my Ghost Notes lesson that I have lined up today, but just couldn't bring myself to do it!).

[media]http://youtu.be/C1md271yJCE[/media]

Edited by geoffbassist