Why become a member? ×

Recording studio tips

onehappybunny

About to go into the studio with my new band - really excited :huh: We've been practicing weekly for a couple of months, so starting to know the songs and want a few songs to burn CD's or put on our myspace page, mainly to help us get gigs. We also have a lead with local radio station who might :) offer us a session if it sounds o.k.

Never done this before (only amateur recordings with one mic in middle of room :huh: ) so would appreciate any advice about what to expect and how to go about it. We'll have an engineer and so he can guide us, but whether to record live with whole band, how many tracks we're likely to get sorted in the two days we have booked...etc. etc. I have no idea

Thanks in advance

Stu

Some bits off the top of my head from my experience:

The engineer will probably ask what the plan is when you turn up. If you ask him to guide you on a plan of action, he may do what's easiest for him rather than what's best for the band, so have a plan. Also I found it often wastes a lot of time if there isn't a designated producer whose decision goes if disagreements arise. The bass player is probably the best candidate in a lot of bands due to fewer ego issues and being able to listen to the song rather than just their own part.

Listen to the kit and bass/guitars after he's placed the mics. Don't let him point the mic roughly in the right direction and hit record. Listen to a quick test recording & move the mics if necessary. Its better to track with a great sound than have to fix it in the mix later.

Two days isn't a lot, but you should be able to get four songs down without too much trouble. Possibly more. I'd use the first day to get the tracks down and some overdubs - take home rough mixes to listen to overnight. Don't do too many overdubs the second morning - mixing always takes longer than I expect.

Bring coffee not beer.

You don't need a big rig to get a big sound.

Relax and enjoy it.

Rehearse until you're sick of it. Then rehearse some more again. Perhaps a bit more after that.

Listening back to stuff in the control room is a revelation if you've never recorded before, and if you're not on top of your game collectively, it can be a revelation in the wrong way. Been there, pondered giving up on the spot.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the two bass flaws that stick out the most in this situation are timing and volume/levels. It's not all bad news though: being well rehearsed will fix the timing, and there'll be some compression going on in the production phase which will sort out small level issues.

Don't be surprised how long things can take. It's very easy to burn huge amounts of time in studio situations even when you don't think you're being [i]that[/i] much of a perfectionist.

Be open to overdubs/fixes/recording in sections, and so on. This may be the only way to Get Things Done In Time. Once you get past take six of a song you're trying to do as a one-take-wonder, it's time to park it and do something else, 'cos it ain't gonna happen in take seven. I remember we did stuff both ways: some one take wonders, some patchwork quilts. I was there, and I don't know where the edits are. Is it cheating? I dunno :)

Disclaimer: all IMHO, based on my experiences. Other experiences may vary. No guarantees expressed or implied.

Everything else said in this thread is good too, obviously.

--Chris

Rehease you parts with just the drummer or without vocals, it may be likely you are asked to track to just the kit unless you are doing a live (band) recording, you would be stunned how easy it is to get lost without cues from the whole band in an arrangment without lyrics or a familiar melody. Maybe draw up arrangments on paper or chord charts.
You should remember to all tune up from the most expensive tuner that either your band or the studio own and after every couple of takes check the tuning.
New strings,
Best quality leads you can afford or borrow,
Batteries for pedals and basses,
Dont accept the phrase fix it in the mix. There are limitations to digital technology and although its possible to diguise faults in the playing (not that there will be im sure), you know they are there and the more you listen to the track the more obvious they become to you.
If your bass sounds good in the live room then it should sound the same in the control room if not better, again refernce to fix in the mix phrase.
remember you are the client, you should get the service you want from the studio not the other way round but dont ask the impossible.
But most importantly enjoy it and have fun, it is supposed to be a pleasurable experience creating music.
Good Luck

[quote name='Marshy' post='218041' date='Jun 13 2008, 12:26 AM']Rehearse until you're sick of it. Then rehearse some more again. Perhaps a bit more after that.
Everything else said in this thread is good too, obviously.[/quote]
The best piece of advice here!

[quote name='ahpook' post='218044' date='Jun 13 2008, 12:29 AM']take a book.
there can be a lot of sitting around, which can get frustrating.
have fun ![/quote]
Except this!
Enjoy it mate.

Edited by johnnylager

• 4 weeks later...

Prepare guide tracks to a click before you hit the studio - that will save you most of a day. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. When you're not recording yourself make sure that you rest your ears as they'll soon get tired during mixing. If possible, don't record and mix on the same day - it is always best to approach mixing with fresh ears.

Be prepared to have every part of your bass performance laid bare. Recording is a very unforgiving experience. Recording separately can be very sterile and every part of your playing good or bad (especially bad) will be heard by everyone in the control room. Make sure that you've changed your strings recently and played them in before hitting the studio. Make sure that the intonation on your bass is correct.

Once you've spent a couple of days crammed into a recording studio with your band mates you won't want to see them for at least a couple of weeks. This is normal.

Oh yeah... Enjoy yourself :0)

Edited by peted

[quote]how many tracks we're likely to get sorted in the two days we have booked...[/quote]

Depends what you want. If it's just rough recording you want then maybe 4-6. If you want it to sound like something you hear on the radio then you might get one done if the engineer is shithot. If he tells you he can do more than that well...

• 1 month later...

Well then... recorded this weekend with the band (Pilgrims) at Empora in Burgess Hill (near Brighton), and the rough mix is sounding good.

Mark (engineer / owner) did a cracking job and we managed to get four tracks down. First experience recording and the best advice was: rehearse (a lot!) before you go in, and take a good book :huh: (there is a LOT of waiting around!). I'd recommend Mark's place - nice relaxed approach. It is NOT a really plush palace stocked full of vintage gear, but he's professional, patient, good value and really helped us make progress.

Drums (sounding awesome) took almost a day, guitar most of a day, vocals several hours, bass just two hours (went surprisingly smoothly :) ) and some extra percussion (couple of hours). Mixing may need an extra half a day.

Will post tracks when they're mixed down (couple of weeks after I come back from my hols)

Thanks for all the advice

Stu