Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Vs Squier VM Jazz basses - Opinions please!

Gamble

So I'm looking at buying a Jazz bass or 2 (different tunings) for a band I've started and I'm in love with the natural ash body, black scratch plate, maple fretboard & block inlay look of the Squier VMJ's, but I'm wondering if with my eyes closed I'd know why I'd paid 2 and a half times as much for one as I could have paid for a Harley Benton whick looks exactly the same.
Does anyone have any experience of comparison between the 2?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_vint_mod_jazz_nt.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb1975_na.htm

Thanks,

Matt

Ah, hadn't spotted the difference in body wood - that's probably where a chunk of the money goes! Cheers!

I'm reaaly keen to know if anyone's got any experience of playing the Harley Benton (or a similar priced model by them) for an idea of the build and finish quality,, the sound and how it might compare to the Squier.

The worst instrument I ever played was a Harley Benton... could have been unlucky but horrendous action (that couldn't be fixed), dreadful finish & just cheap. The Squier VM range on the other hand get raved about more than entry level Fenders. If it was me I wouldn't think twice about it

Harley Benton is Thomann's own brand. Most opinions seem to be that they're pretty much par-for-the-course when it comes to cheap Chinese factory output. You could get a great one, or get a complete dog. Fortunately Thomann's returns policy is pretty good.

On the other hand, the Squier VM series is excellent. I'm sure there [i]are[/i] bad ones out there, but very few and far between. Also, those Duncan Designed pickups sound fantastic.