Why become a member? ×

Using stompbox with mixer

ped

Hi chaps

My signal chain goes bass -> 13 pin output to Vbass unit -> two XLR or 1/4" outputs (L and R) to mixer -> headphones.

I also have a couple of stomp boxes I really like, however I can't use them in between my bass and the Vbass unit as I tend to use the 13 pin cable to allow me to access my synths and so forth. I can use a standard jack and stompboxes if I like but it means switching to a standard cable and different input on the Vbass.

As this isn't a 'live' rig, perhaps someone could suggest a way in which I can use mt stomp boxes too.

One suggestion was a mixer with an effects loop. My crappy mixer doesn't have one. Bearing in mind my mixer has L and R signals from my Vbass, would the FX loop work on both channels? Does the FX loop affect the whole output of the mixer, so to speak?

Sorry, probably haven't worded this very well but perhaps someone will know what I mean!!

Cheers
ped

why not go from the vbass in to the pedals? Or do you really like the stereo sounds? Could you run the jack output from your bass into the pedals and have them in parallel?

If you had an AUX on your mixer, you could apply the pedals to both L and R channels, yeh. What's the model of your mixer?

I really like the stereo sounds yeah. I tried using the pedal after the Vbass in mono and it didn't sound right, I guess an env. filter sounds best in front of anything else. My mixer is one of these http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX802A.aspx

Cheers
ped

P.S pedal is an old FX25

I can't see a manual on the downloads page but it does say it has aux sends. Usually you would plug the send into the input of your pedal, the return into the output of the pedal, and then use the aux-send knobs on the channels you're using to mix in some of the effect.

I would try that and see how it works, it might be cool! But it might be better to run the jack output of your bass to the pedal, and to a third channel on the mixer.

I thought you wanted to apply the pedal effect to the output of your vbass, to do that you'd have to use the Aux. I thought another cool option would be to blend them using the 3rd channel

... hadn't even considered switching between the two! That's a bit more difficult. Is there a mute switch input for the Vbass? If so you could wire that to the switch on the pedal, or to a switch in a TB loop (pretty easy, just two solder points), still have the pedal going to a third channel, but when you kick it on it would mute the Vbass

TFM for Ped's mixer is here: [url="http://www.behringer.com/assets/mx802A_P0032_M_en.pdf"]http://www.behringer.com/assets/mx802A_P0032_M_en.pdf[/url] Judging by this, it is possible to control the Aux send level for aux 1 and 2. Aux 2 would be the one to use since it's post-fader.

However, a stompbox like this, particularly an old one, is looking for an instrument level, in the order of a few tens or hundreds of mV. The Aux Send out is a line level signal - specification of the mixer doesn't say, but this could be a couple of volts. You'd need to start with it on 0 and bring it up gradually.

Another option might be to use the jack socket main out on the V-Bass floor unit and run that through the effect and back into a third channel on the mixer.

Both these options will stuff up your stereo effects though: the aux send is a mono-out, so you'd get the combined stereo signal sent to the effect and then mixed back into both channels. And your envelope filter will be after all the other effects in the chain.

Neither of these options will get the Envelope filter before the V-Bass effects. To do that, you'd have to run from the jack socket of the bass, through the effect, back into the GK3B. With the internal wiring in your bass I'm not sure that's possible.