Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

83 Squier Jazz

Bluescaster

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and it was recommended by a fellow bass player. I bought a Squier Jazz new back in 83 (jv serial number) and played it up to about 8 years ago as I picked up a Fender Aerodyne at the right money. The Squier has the usual dings that you would expect for a 30 year old but looks brilliant and plays fab and was just wondering what kinda cash they are making in todays market. Kind regards, Mick.

Welcome to the forum Mick. JV Squiers at present seem to fetch between £500 - £800, depending on condition. There are a few on here at present, and on Evilbay. Have a look at them, and judge how yours compares in condition, then fix the price accordingly.

Edited by Lozz196

I'll use this thread with a somewhat similar question. What would be a possible market value of a '83 or '84 japanese Squier Jazz, this time SQ series? My friend has got a rather nice cream white one and thinks about selling it (which I advise him not to, as it's probably worth more as an instrument than in terms of market value). I'm sure they don't go anywhere near JV type of prices. Any idea how much less could it be though?

They go for £300 - £400 mark - as you point out they aren't as sought after despite being of a similar quality and as playable as any JV. Collectors prefer the JVs as they were based on the original Fender vintage blueprints, the SQs are more of a 'mash up' of models e.g. 70's style tuners, solid barrel saddles, skunk stripe, etc. I'd keep it I'm sure it's value as an instrument outweighs its monetary worth.