Why become a member? ×

buckeye burl?

busccini

If you mean Buckeye Burl, the distinctive marks are caused by spalting, as you can find in other kinds of wood. As I understand it, spalting is a kind of moulding or rotting process, so, yes you could say the wood is dead, but so is any wood used on a guitar. Whether this means it has any affect on the tone is a whole other can of worms, but it certainly looks good

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1376088042' post='2169728']
If you mean Buckeye Burl, the distinctive marks are caused by spalting, as you can find in other kinds of wood. As I understand it, spalting is a kind of moulding or rotting process, so, yes you could say the wood is dead, but so is any wood used on a guitar. Whether this means it has any affect on the tone is a whole other can of worms, but it certainly looks good
[/quote]
yes i mean buckeye burl , thanks rubis , i got some buckeye burl myself at work and i dont know if i sell the hole piece or i keep some tops for some future basses .
kind regards

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1376167510' post='2170532']
I'd think you don't want to put any sort of structural faith in it, since its horribly inconsistent. Tops are safer.
[/quote]

Agreed. Buckeye burl is actually taken from the rootstock of the tree (in fact it's a large shrub I think) so the mechanical properties are extremely variable and because there isn't any grain as such and its mostly below ground and therefore spalted which makes it pretty the acoustic properties are poor, so its best used for tops or facings.

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1376255436' post='2171475']
Agreed. Buckeye burl is actually taken from the rootstock of the tree (in fact it's a large shrub I think) so the mechanical properties are extremely variable and because there isn't any grain as such and its mostly below ground and therefore spalted which makes it pretty the acoustic properties are poor, so its best used for tops or facings.
[/quote]
ist truth i got this piece like 1 year ago and i cut it yesterday there is only a few good solid pieces and the rest ist full of stones or holes , anyway some people say buckeye combined with other woods can be a dream , i was asking to janek gwizdala about buckeye and he said this: I think it has a lot to do with the sound. And in the case of the bass in the video above I think it adds to how much stiffer the bass came out, giving the sound a bit more of a growl. It's all personal though, so I guess it's best to try as many as you can and make up your own mind.
here ist the video link thanks for stoping by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNVOgihBbig