Why become a member? ×

what generator to power a pa/backline?

chrisd24

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi there,[/font][/size]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=3]My band are due to play a wedding in a couple of weeks and it transpires we are going to have to power all our gear from a generator, although we have done this many times before it has always been supplied by event organisers (and generally people who know what they are doing!) but on this occasion as its the groom organising it we have been asked what sort of generator we need and what power will we need.[/size][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=3]our pa consists of:[/size][/font]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2 x rcf tops @ [color=#000000]1400 W Peak, 700 W RMS[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]1 x rcf sub @ [/color][color=#000000]2000 Watt Peak, 1000 Watt RMS[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]1 x bass amp @ 100 watts[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]1 x mixing desk @?[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]led par cans @ hardly anythimg i assume[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]and a few sundrie small electrical items (iem etc)[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]My question is what sort of power are we likely to need and is there any particular sort of generator we need?[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Many thanks in advance for any advice.[/size][/font][/color]

[size=4][quote name='chrisd24' timestamp='1375698314' post='2164331'][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]...[color=#000000]My question is what sort of power are we likely to need and is there any particular sort of generator we need?[/color][/font]...[/quote][/size]

[size=4]Good afternoon, Chris...[/size]

[size=4]Your power requierments would be covered by a 3 kw generator, but it would be prudent to go for 5kw. See if there are any other things being plugged in, as well (fridges, marquee lighting, bar equipment..?) and add that to the power needed.[/size]
[size=4]A diesel genny would be preferable, with electric start, and a fuel tank able to run full length without needing topping up. Work out your playing time (including set-up, sound check etc...). Normally, such a genny is started up and runs continuously until everyone goes home, though.[/size]
[size=4]With your total power needs (~5kw...) and your running time (6 hours..?), the local hire firms should be able to provide something.[/size]
[size=4]Make sure someone knows how to properly earth the thing (should be supplied with an earthing stake and cable...).[/size]
[size=4]As silent as possible, of course; downwind (some of these things can really stink..!); protect the cable between the genny and the venue from folks tripping on it, or running their cars over it (not good..!). Not too far away, either. Have someone check it regularly (every 2 hours for fuel remaining, no overheating...).[/size]
[size=4]Not simple, not so cheap, but works well if you get decent material. Don't try skimping.[/size]
[size=4]Hope this helps. Subject to completion and/or contradiction from others...[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

I'd be thinking 5kva and aim to keep the power runs as short as poss.
Use decent quality feeds and keep an eye on the heat pof the cable near the power source NOT at the power destination.

We recently ran a 5k rig with 3kw of monitors PLUS backline with 21kva of lights off 6 seperate 13 amp feeds.

You've given the wrong amount of watts as an indication to what you need. It's the power consumption watts of each component that you need to add up to decide how many kW you need for the generator to be.
Going on what I've run, 3 kVA should be more than ample, though if you're wanting a silent runner you're not gonna get much smaller than @ 5kVA (@ 4 kW).)

Looking at your list I'd be very surprised if it draws more than 2kW.

Edited by xgsjx