Why become a member? ×

reduce noise and tighten up my sound?

Ant_On_Bass

Hi i'm after something to reduce little bit of noise i'm getting from my head but also tighten up my sound aswell, since i have no clue about this type of thing thought i'd post on here and ask:-) i'm guessing i need some sort of noise gate and compressor but i've never used either so have no clue what to buy really or how to use haha, any comments would be welcomed :-D Thanks Ant

Compressor at the front with short attack and release, squashing the signal / depends what flavour you like.

Noise gate on the end with threshold to suit

No more noise and more balanced "extruded" signal.

I have boss lmb3 at front and boss nf1 at the end. Works treat for me :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1375186753' post='2157777']
I'd start with a less noisy amp.
[/quote]

To expand on this, just how noisy is the amp? If you ground the signal (connect your bass straight to the amp and turn the bass volume all way down) is the noise level the same? What have you got in between bass and amp normally? Have you tried different cables?

I'd look at what you're doing/using first before looking to add anything else in, and look to prevent the noise (if possible) rather than fight it.

originally i was playing through a wireless but found that to be interfering with my sound as i was getting a slight distortion sound out of my cab, so i've now stopped using that, i have been using old cables really so i've ordered a couple new cables to see if that makes a difference as i noticed this noise whilst having no pedals plugged in, it's more of a hum to be honest.

I do want to look at getting a compressor at some point anyway, can anyone recommend anything? thanks :-)