Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pigs - Pink Floyd....

livingbasshead

I'm sure GP was a member here until he got into a stupid argument about his one man show. Great. :(

There's a live version of Sheep from a Roger Waters show on YouTube. I'll see if I can link it. It's a bit odd, not sure if it's because he's playing and singing but I would say he doesn't quite hit the groove. The backing band are awesome though.

Interesting to see that when Waters starts singing Andy Fairweather Lowe takes over the bass part.

When Floyd did this song on the Animals tour I'm pretty sure Snowy White played most of the bass & Waters played acoustic guitar for most of the night.

I've always liked Roger Waters' bass parts; he approaches them from a a songwriters perspective, not a bassists.

Roger (or Davids?) bass parts serve the songs. Guy is a better bass player, of that there is no doubt, but I would say that Rog is a songwriter who happens to play bass.

If you watch the Wall shows, he plays a lot of accoustic guitar and G E Smith plays most of the bass parts. But Pigs and the Animals record in general, is a great piece of work.

Here is a rig run down of the guys involved in the Wall tour, Dave Kilminster, Snowy White and G E Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s1x-JjZu2I&feature=share&list=PL13D7650D1E3388E9

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1375529619' post='2162543']
What do you mean by " helped boost the ratings" exactly?
Surely you're not suggesting that large numbers of people went to see that tour because of who was playing bass?
[/quote] Its why I bought the Video. I saw a clip of him playing and bought it - i was never a huge fan until i heard this live vid. I did say helped boost the ratings. I just think for me it added a bit more excitement. Whether it did actually sell more tickets i'm not sure but i would have made the effort to see that tour rather than the later tours where the sound became dull IMO and again its simply down to personal preference. NO I don't think GP makes Pink Floyd but as a bassist myself i like and appreciate a good bassist with an aire of style and entertainment - not a bassist who does overkill tho and i think GP hit it spot on with the DSoT tour. I haven't bought another Floyd live album since to be honest .If you put same question to people who suggested Tony Levin would have been a better choice would TL fans have gone just because TL was playing. I would think probably some but as mentioned probably not a lot. This was the first time i had heard GP and i was fairly impressed enough to buy the album and VID. Maybe it was just my excitement of posting a comment on BC about a tour i just really liked and enjoyed ???. Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

And I agree about Roger Waters' bass playing. It's simple, but exactly what many of the songs required. I don't really go for the post Waters Floyd, "A Momentary Lapse" and "The Division Bell" to me are way off pace of those 70's masterpieces.

Anyway, that bass line and bass tone on Pigs (Three Different Ones) is awesome. You should check it out if you haven't done so already. B)

Yeah Snowy White played bass on the In The Flesh Tour on Pigs and Sheep. Waters played electric rhythm guitar on those. I think a lot of us would struggle to sing those with the commitment required, and play those basslines.
Waters did used to play the bass on 'Raving and Drooling' (the early versions of what became Sheep from the '74 tour thro to '76).

• 6 months later...