Why become a member? ×

Stinky - Roost Valve amp SR22

Recently purchased a Roost Valve Amp, got it checked out everything was fine apart from a loose capacitor and a couple of resistors that needed replacing.

I love the head, its great, but it has a smell to it! I guess it smells a bit fusty/damp, when I first got it I took the electrics out, cleaned the cabinet although it wasn't mouldy or damp and let the whole thing air, this improved the situation somewhat.

The amp tech painted the tolex with a silicone solution which improved the situation again, but the smell is still there to some degree.

I think the smell comes from the tolex, [size=4]I am tempted to recover it, but not sure if (a) its something I can do myself or (B) if it affects value of the head.[/size]

Should I strip the tolex, clean the cab and then recover it or wait for the smell to disappear.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1375177356' post='2157531']
[size=4]Not helping much, am I?[/size]
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]It doesn't smell like stale smoke I recognise as more of a damp/musty smell, its like its been sat around in a garage for a while. There were some rust speckles on the screws and washers in the cabinet that might suggest a period of being left in a garage, they cleaned up ok with wd40.[/size]

Does it smell when its on, or just smell all of the time ? an old valve amp will have a distinctive smell when it warms up if it aint been used for a while, kinda likean electric fire thats not been used, but tht will go away after a bit.

Otherwise its in the wood probably. Unless its a combo, in which case old paper speaker cones could probably absorb something.

I'd sugest taking the guts out,sprinkle either dry carpet deodoriser from Wilko, or Borax ( same thing probably ) liberally around the cabinet inside, leave it half an hour and then hoover it out. Usually works wonders.

I like old Roost amps Theyre great, really basic design, and very bloody loud.