Why become a member? ×

Overwater five-string Original Series fretless

Kees_SoS

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1377609041' post='2189325']
Wow that flamed ash has some figure doesn't it? Looking great Kees, I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it now?
[/quote]

Yes, the flaming is quite spectactular. From an aesthetic point of view, I'm over the moon with it.
Just over a week to go until collection now. Naturally, I'm more than a bit excited! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally collected the bass on Friday. Needless to say, I'm over the moon with it.

As anyone who is familiar with Overwater will know, the quality of finish on their instruments is second to none, and this bass is no exception.

Like my previous custom order, this one has turned out exactly as I had envisaged. We made a few subtle changes along the way, all of which have ultimately made for a better instrument - classic but contemporary, with great looks, tone and playability. Thanks to the Scott Devine signature circuit, the bass has also a wide range of tonal possibilities, but is still easy to use.

What I'm now looking forward to is trying it out in a band situation.

Thanks, guys. I am indeed mega chuffed with it. I spent all of yesterday evening playing on it and just couldn't put it back in the case and go to bed ;-)
Really pleased with how the specs have worked out, too, particularly the pickup configuration and Scott Devine circuit.

[quote name='Kees_SoS' timestamp='1378762700' post='2204520']
Thanks, guys. I am indeed mega chuffed with it. I spent all of yesterday evening playing on it and just couldn't put it back in the case and go to bed ;-)
Really pleased with how the specs have worked out, too, particularly the pickup configuration and Scott Devine circuit.
[/quote]

You guys may or may not know this, but I designed and produce what's called the Scott Devine Signature preamp.

Laurence, at Overwater, asked if I could come up with something which has a flat response, so no change to to response going from passive to active when controls set in neutral as already mentioned, and with more of a US vibe.

I already had something in my head which I mapped on to a U Retro 5 Knob Deluxe. If I had to coin some sort of description, I'd say Fodera style.

Edited by John-E-Retro

Hi, John.

I was aware that you designed the preamp. I'd actually been thinking of asking the guys at Overwater if they knew of a preamp that would give me more flexibility in the mid range, so when Scott's signature bass came out, I couldn't wait to hear for myself what the electronics could do. To be honest, I'm surprised that so few manufacturers offer an equivalent option. For me, being able to find the sweet spot in the mid range is crucial.

[quote name='John-E-Retro' timestamp='1378819789' post='2205047']
You guys may or may not know this, but I designed and produce what's called the Scott Devine Signature preamp.

Laurence, at Overwater, asked if I could come up with something which has a flat response, so no change to to response going from passive to active when controls set in neutral as already mentioned, and with more of a US vibe.

I already had something in my head which I mapped on to a U Retro 5 Knob Deluxe. If I had to coin some sort of description, I'd say Fodera style.
[/quote]