Why become a member? ×

Metal scratchplate

Looper

I made a copper scratch plate for a guitar back in the 70s. After spending ages polishing it to a bright shine, it looked fantastic for about a week until the oxidation process started to make it go dull and eventually green in all the places that got a lot of finger contact.

I tried sealing it with clear lacquer after re-polishing, but because I couldn't use the dip process (too big and therefore too expensive) I had to use a spray can. Eventually the oxidation started again around the screw holes and then I wore through the lacquer in places with pick use.

So if you want it to stay bright and shiny IME you'll end up being disappointed. As for earthing yes it needs to be earthed unless it is no where near any of the electrics or any other item that is earthed.

I used to use a kind of rubber like you find in them pens you can rub out
Dark black/gray, but most rubbers should get the green off
What we use in circuits when designing them

But isn't it like eating the copper, I kniw I got a old circuit and its lime green and no track.

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1375251057' post='2158744']
And I always got nagged to earth every bit of ,metal but was warned that a faulty amp can send power up the earth line
I've not seen that but I'm a noobie to such things happening
[/quote]

Only an issue if the earth in the amp is disconnected,, it means you and the guitar become the earth path, the idea of the earth if is there is such a fault, there is a path for the current to go and the fuse will blow. The guitar is supposed to be earthed.

A good friend of mine has just started a business doing custom etched and patina'd scratch plates similar to Trussart's and the like. Give Chris a shout at [url="https://www.facebook.com/CustomCooletch?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook.com/CustomCooletch?fref=ts[/url] and tell him Kev sent ya B)