Why become a member? ×

Audioslave - Cochise

Guest MoJo

Anyone know what effect Tim Commerford uses on this track? Sounds like an envelope filter or wah. Any help gratefully received. If only he were as forthcoming as Tom Morello [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWHSC3gQkA&feature=related"]Tom Morello Tricks on YouTube[/url] !

Edited by bassman2790

Two modded Bass Crybaby's running one into the other, with a board over the treadles so he can operate both pedals at the same time. Turn the Q control all the way up on one and all the way down on the other, patch them together and away you go. As each pedal is affecting a different frequency range, when you move them at the same time you get that weird "bleurgh" sound rather than the traditional "wah".

There's some serious overdrive on there too. Great effect if you can afford two 105Q's!

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' post='216167' date='Jun 10 2008, 01:54 PM']Great effect if you can afford two 105Q's![/quote]

Unfortunately I can't so will have to do with the best I can muster from my GT-6B. Thanks for the reply. :)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='216175' date='Jun 10 2008, 02:03 PM']Unfortunately I can't so will have to do with the best I can muster from my GT-6B. Thanks for the reply. :huh:[/quote]
Could you post the settings when you get close enough. I'm wanting to use at Commerford-esque sound for a couple of tracks my new originals band goes live in August but haven't found time to play about with my GT lately (although I got near with the autowah quick settings once) what with writting new stuff, reforming an old band and keeping on top of my tribute band stuff..... all for the same event. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='216263' date='Jun 10 2008, 03:45 PM']Could you post the settings when you get close enough. I'm wanting to use at Commerford-esque sound for a couple of tracks my new originals band goes live in August but haven't found time to play about with my GT lately (although I got near with the autowah quick settings once) what with writting new stuff, reforming an old band and keeping on top of my tribute band stuff..... all for the same event. :)[/quote]

Will do :huh:

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' post='216167' date='Jun 10 2008, 01:54 PM']Two modded Bass Crybaby's running one into the other...[/quote]

Really? I always figured he had two 105Qs running because of his crazy three amp set-up. He's got one rig always on clean through an 8x10, then a whole extra head and 4x10 he adds in for his dirty tone, with a [b]third[/b] head and cab he kicks in for the monster filth. I thought those two Crybaby's were patched one for each dirty amp.

Hell, i'm probably wrong though!! It happens a lot :)

[quote name='mike257' post='216815' date='Jun 11 2008, 01:10 PM']Really? I always figured he had two 105Qs running because of his crazy three amp set-up. He's got one rig always on clean through an 8x10, then a whole extra head and 4x10 he adds in for his dirty tone, with a [b]third[/b] head and cab he kicks in for the monster filth. I thought those two Crybaby's were patched one for each dirty amp.

Hell, i'm probably wrong though!! It happens a lot :huh:[/quote]
You could be right there. You're bang on about the three-amp rig, but I'm not sure whether he runs the pedals to seperate amps. Certainly a possibility.

The key to "that" sound though, is (I think) the use of opposing settings on the Q control (or modifying each tone circuit for the same effect) so that each pedal affects a slightly different range to the other. Mix the two together and you've got magic! :)

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' post='217163' date='Jun 11 2008, 08:19 PM']The key to "that" sound though, is (I think) the use of opposing settings on the Q control (or modifying each tone circuit for the same effect) so that each pedal affects a slightly different range across the pedal's sweep. Mix the two together and you've got magic! :)[/quote]

You mean I've got to buy [i]another[/i] Crybaby?? I need a bigger plank of wood for all these pedals :huh:

[quote name='Oscar South' post='216870' date='Jun 11 2008, 02:03 PM']Slightly on a tangent, a funny comment I heard someone say about Timmy C's elaborate and highly secretive setup a while ago was "Nobody can get his tone, but 8 year olds can play his basslines", made me chuckle at the time.[/quote]

Hehe bit unfair though I think he is a pretty good bass player. Got quite a serious double bass background in jazz I think too.

His tone is superb I must say, although on some of the live dvds it comes across as a bit farty. I suppose it fits better in the mix though.

I stumbled upon [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265221"]this[/url] while researching something completely different. I've not had time to read it right through yet but a quick scan over looks mighty interesting.

edit : pic added.

Edited by Ou7shined