Why become a member? ×

What's wrong with this recording?

I've just gone back to Joanne Shaw Taylor's most recent album and I'm left with the same nagging doubt that I had when I first put it on. I like the songs, and her guitar playing is still excellent, but there's something about the overall production that doesn't sit right with me. I'm increasingly convinced that this album has become a victim of an overly zealous compressor in the "loudness war," but I just wonder whether somebody with better ears can verify this for me.

Exhibit A is the first track from the most recent album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SMZA5fMVI

Is it just me, or does it sound like somebody just pushed all the faders up to full on this one, and the mastering engineer just compressed it to buggery?

Exhibit B is the first track from her debut album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxsr2do0Wrk

I of course realise that the instrumentation's a little different on this one, but this one just seems to have a lot more space for the mix to breathe. It's not just me, is it?

I wouldn't say I have particularly good ears, but the second track has some dynamics that allow it to breathe and the first track seems to be pretty much at the same level all the way through. However its not as badly squashed as a really horrible sounding Rush CD I once borrowed from a previous band's drummer.

Probably mastered with the goal of making it louder. Silly to ruin music like this.

Edited by Junkyard Rocket

[quote name='Junkyard Rocket' timestamp='1374677197' post='2151719']
However its not as badly squashed as a really horrible sounding Rush CD I once borrowed from a previous band's drummer.
[/quote]
"Vapour Trails" by any chance?

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1374675962' post='2151693']
I've just gone back to Joanne Shaw Taylor's most recent album and I'm left with the same nagging doubt that I had when I first put it on. I like the songs, and her guitar playing is still excellent, but there's something about the overall production that doesn't sit right with me. I'm increasingly convinced that this album has become a victim of an overly zealous compressor in the "loudness war," but I just wonder whether somebody with better ears can verify this for me.

Is it just me, or does it sound like somebody just pushed all the faders up to full on this one, and the mastering engineer just compressed it to buggery?

I of course realise that the instrumentation's a little different on this one, but this one just seems to have a lot more space for the mix to breathe. It's not just me, is it?
[/quote]
They are both treated insensitively, all about marketability, I don't like either.

Here's one that has been tret much more carefully but retaining some punch and yet much air, not got the guitars like yours though ..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvuyYj5ROmk[/media]

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1374675962' post='2151693']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SMZA5fMVI[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxsr2do0Wrk[/media]

[/quote]

[b]I think your assessment is pretty accurate. It's very compressed, especially the bass and drums. I also think it's the parts that are being played. Everybody is taking up the same sonic space and playing similar rhythms. And there's a bit of distortion on everything, even the vocals -- probably from attempting to make it too hot. There also seems to be next to no reverb on the vox which makes it sound even more harsh, whereas on the second example there's a nice smooth atmosphere to the vox. [/b]

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1374675962' post='2151693']...I of course realise that the instrumentation's a little different on this one, but this one just seems to have a lot more space for the mix to breathe. It's not just me, is it?
[/quote]

The impressions of a deaf old so and so...

The 'problem', to me, is in the composition and arrangement in the first track. There's a lot going on 'mid-field', serving no or little purpose. There is little specific role or definition to either guitars or that synthetic 'stuff', filling sonic space for no effect. The voice is not hidden, but is certainly not brought to the forefront of one's attention; the 'dry' vocal mix doesn't give much 'air'. I don't like the over-present drums, but that's just a matter of taste, nothing more.
The second track has a purpose to each instrument; they're not aimlessly treading on each other's toes. The voice has a nice 'room' treatment, giving a warm presence, riding well in the panoramic (is it me, or is it off centre..?). This track I could listen to, the first doesn't hold my interest.
Nice guitar work.
(Disclaimer: I have no idea who she is, nor the band. First time listen with a very modest headset. As stated above, deaf old bugger, too... :mellow: )

Edited by Dad3353

I had a quick listen to the first track through laptop speakers (no headphones to hand) so this won't be a particularly reliable assessment, but I could hear a real disparity in the acoustics of the drum kit and the rest of the track. It sounds like a completely different space, which prevents everything from gelling, the drums felt really superimposed upon everything else.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1374702927' post='2152286']
They are both treated insensitively, all about marketability, I don't like either.

Here's one that has been tret much more carefully but retaining some punch and yet much air, not got the guitars like yours though ..
[/quote]

I rather enjoyed that! (Would have been even better with a nice guitar solo somewhere along the way!)

But yes, thanks for everyone's sonic input on those JST tracks - I have been wondering if this is symptomatic of the fact that they were recorded and produced in the US. At the risk of getting a bit anecdotal, I have heard tell that a lot of American producers follow a formula for the way things "should" sound, and so the drums are far too loud and bass far too buried, completely ignoring the fact that she's a blues artist. Throughout [i]Almost Always Never, [/i]the louder songs seem to have been mixed with about the same attention to detail, and that harsh, dry vocal sound. Which is odd, because they still managed to give the mix space and air on her first two albums, complete with a nice warm vocal sound.