Why become a member? ×

Some people may remember me asking about blue tuxedos...? Video content!

EBS_freak

Pete - Pie night looms! Looking forward to it!

Should really say, videos are a great marketing tool. My other band's success is greatly down to having a fantastic marketing pack and a great video. Decent video can be expensive but it pays for itself very quickly. We've already got over 30 gigs lined up for 2014 and theres booking appearing for 2015.

Invest in a good video and push it around agencies and you'll be out numerous times every week without fail.

Can only agree, it's a very good video and brings out the personalities of the band. Just out or curiosity, how much does something like that cost you. Constructively, I'd like to have seen more "live" shots i.e. the audience enjoying themselves too, but fantastic nonetheless.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1375637789' post='2163747']Just out or curiosity, how much does something like that cost you.[/quote]

For the quality and the price of the video shoot, you will not beat FeaturePhonic - they are awesome people to work with and a great laugh. I had the best two days working with these guys... and this is one of the reasons we've always chosen these guys to work with.

Their prices are very competitive but the price all depends on the concept that you have. Obviously, this video was quite involved and for example, extra gear was required for the steady in van shots - which would not normally be required... There was also shooting the van from out of a trailing vehicle... the wheel arch shot... and all of this has an influence, so it would be unfair to quote prices as every shoot will be different. Best bet is to email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] with a concept and they will be able to quote you a ballpark figure. As you can see from their work, they hit the mark every time... there is no hit or miss with these guys... and that is very important when you are dropping money on a video. There may be people to give you cheaper quotes but I bet you those guys don't get it right every time and produce a video to the quality that you've seen here... and work with you closely to get the final edit exactly as you want.

So, video cost aside, on top of that, we had to hire of the venue which ran to a few hundred pounds - complete with the lighting and stage blocks to give it that vintage "Top of the Pops" look. Having said that, a great venue is not always required - we knew we wanted that sort of look and feel but if you look at Feature Phonics videos, impressive results can be done with minimal lighting. For example, check their work with Wheatus -

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YcVrMK3j7VM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YcVrMK3j7VM[/url]

and if you go to their channel on YouTube - [color="#0000ff"][url="http://www.youtube.com/user/FEATUREPHONICMEDIA"]http://www.youtube.com/user/FEATUREPHONICMEDIA[/url] [/color]you will see that they can get ace results even in your living room.

Additional costs for us was the fuel and insurance on the van (we borrowed it from a band friend for the shoot), the making of the clothes and shoes, which off the top of my head ran to about 130 for the girls, 150 for the boys... 20 pounds for the poker visors... and apart from that, pretty much else was begged stolen or borrowed. It's all about shopping smart. We also hired the use of Matt Pinfield, a superb sound engineer who made sure our sound was captured well - I think you agree he did a phenomenal job. We are all capable at setting up microphones and recording the band but what this guy does, I think you'll agree, is simply breathtaking.

From a video point of view (taking away the extra costs mentioned above), certainly be thinking of investing a good few hundred, not thousands, of pounds for a one day shoot (this one was two - one for the interview/band parts, one for the performance)... but from the function band point of view, we have recouped the cost through bookings already.