Why become a member? ×

pickup mounting ferrules repair advice.

artisan

hi,i just bought an old Aria super bass,at some time the ferrules for the pickup height adjustment screws have been pulled out of the body leaving a hole slightly larger than the actual ferrule & the rear of my pickup way to high.
what is the best/easiest way or re-securing these back into the bass body ?
i've never attempted anything like this before but thought i'd have a go,or should i take it to a guitar tech' ?
cheers

Edited by artisan

Obtain appropriate diameter hardwood dowel, drill out old hole to match dowel, fill hole with dowel/glue, drill hole to the correct size/location for the ferrule, reinsert ferrule.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1374514974' post='2149602']
Easier still, put some araldite into the ferule hole, slide the ferrule back into place whilst attached to the pickup - that'll make sure it goes in square and ends up in exactly the right position.

Leave to set overnight, jobs done. :)
[/quote]

well i decided to stop messing around & use this method,just bought some 2 part evo stick so will have a go this evening.
Cheers

hi,not badly actually,i initially thought the holes in the body were too large but once i had taken the pickup out i realised that some total herbert had put an extra piece foam under said pickup which was causing it to sit far too high, had consequently pulling the ferrules out of the body.
i removed the extra foam then refitted the pickup the ferrules seem to have located & locked into place correctly,the G string side works fine but the E string side seems as though someone (not me) has tightened the adjusting screw to extremes.
so now i need to carefully try to unscrew the ferrule & adjusting screw without crushing the ferrule,very careful use of mole grips i think.,however if it doesn't want to budge i'll not force it as i can live without been able to adjust it,at least the pickup now sits straight too.
really loving this old Aria,sounds great, plays lovely & looks cool.