Why become a member? ×

Switching in effects send/receive jacks?

BassTractor

Is there a standard to this?
Can one use these without thinking, or must one use the manual for the specific model?

Here's my two thoughts:
I'd noobly suppose the Send does switch off the internal signal, so the return and the original signals don't "push" against each at the risk of damage to one of their outputs.

I'd also noobly suppose the Return does switch too, so for example in the case one imports a signal from another source, this imported signal and a possible internal signal do not "push" each other at the risk of damaging one of their outputs.

Though I do sense I'm overlooking something logical here, my head will not cooperate right now.
Any comments?

best,
bert

Are we talking about the effects loop on an amp?

Often these are set up in parallel, resulting in a blend of clean and effected signal. That way if the pedal chain dies you still get some signal. Some amps allow you to switch them to series, for instance if you want to modify all the signal all the time with something like a rack compressor : my Little Mark has a jumper inside.

Thanks, Pete.
Yes, we are.
Your answer gave me a whole new take on the matter. You know, it never even crossed my mind that the other thread (on loop output voltage and impedance) contained that same thing with the blend.

I'm still wondering how this works electronically, but maybe at these levels, there is no danger for output components if a signal comes the other way as well.

Maybe I should put my poor head to rest ...

Thanks, mate!
best,
bert

I'd agree with you.... You need to rest your head.
Pete is on the money with what he said.
Simple way if stopping a signal return the wrong way is to put a resistor on each signal that's being summed (merged) so the signal an only go one way.