Why become a member? ×

Mixing GK with Hartke?

horrorshowbass

Hi,
im looking to upgrade my cheap and cheerful combo for a head and 4x10 cab configuration that doesn't fart out when pushed above halfway at medium sized pub gigs.
A local fella is selling a Hartke 410 XL and I plan to pair it up with a Gallien Krueger Backline/400RB head.
I have chatted with another bass player and he suggested that I'll need a cab with a tweeter (which the Hartke doesn't have) to get that "GK sound", (upper mids maybe?) im after. I play mostly classic rock but enjoy more modern bass sounds too e.g. RHCP, Muse.
Obviously im not looking to exactly replicate these bands sounds (not on my budget :) ) but id like a fairly loud, fairly modern, punchy sound that will cut through in the mix.
I know the GK sound and "growl" has a lot to do with the "boost" control also so could i mix it with the Hartke and get the growl im after or should I just buy a GK combo/cab with a tweeter?
Any help/experiences with these amps would be greatly appreciated,
cheers,
Mick

Edited by horrorshowbass

xgsjx,
thanks for the input man, i won't be able to play through the amp unfortunately as Im buying it of a fella on gumtree and don't have a head for it :)
that is sound advice though, try before you buy and all that.
To be honest, im verging towards goin for cab, its cheap enough and powerful and has good reviews on here and talkbass.
cheers
Michael

I think providing that the head and cab are in good working order, they'll make a good combination. A GK head partnered with Hartke cabs was one of the most popular set ups 20 years ago.
Given how bright and punchy GKs are, I think you'll be better off without a tweeter; on the newer amps (mine are the old 400 and 800rbs so others will know better than me) I believe that the 'boost' circuit only works on the low end part of the bi-amp setup. I'd guess that the grit comes from high mids rather than scratch treble.

Edited by The fasting showman

Hi Mick,
Yonks ago I had a Line 6 bass pod, and if I recall correctly there was a setting on there that replicated a GK800RB into a Hartke 410xl ( setting named 80's? or similar). At the time I had an Ampeg SVT valve setup and I was very sniffy about non valve gear; I remember though that the GK/Hartke setting, along with the Fliptop setting, was my favourite stock sound in there! Then I eventually dropped on a GK head and I don't hanker after valve gear at all now.
As I said if all works well you'll have a great sounding setup mate.
Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Bumpdate

Bit torn between buying a 400rb head off eBay for £200 or paying double that for GK 700rb 115 combo?
anyone own either? Would a 15" cab cut it in a 3 piece classic rock band or should i buy the cheaper head and a 410? The combo uses the RBH cabs which are top end GK. Should i save my pennies for it tho?
Any help appreciated guys.
Thanks
MICK

Hi Mick,
I've got a Mk1 400rb whereas the one on ebay is a Mk3; not sure if the Mkiv came about due to fan issues on the Mk3. I could be wrong, so have a look on the net, I bet it sounds great. If there's a circuit update maybe Polar audio could advise.
My lower powered Mk1 is very potent through a ballsy cab, even drives an 8x10 well. On the 400rb front there's a Mkiv combo on Gumtree for £350.
As to the combo(1x15 or otherwise) cutting it I guess it's down to how your bandmates play and how under control their sound is; sorry to be vague but I've played in many bands where it's a volume war.
All the best,
Martin

If you go for any of that Muse distortion then a tweeter will sound absolutely awful. Hartke cabs are quite bright anyway, don't worry about lack of tweeter. On any of those records by those bands, the recording engineer will pay no notice of the tweeters and ony mic up the cones, so a tweeter will not give you the sound you're after.

As one of Larry Hartke's boys since, well, for nearly ever, the aluminum cones in the XL series really eliminate the need for a tweeter. The aluminum translates more highs and clearer, cleaner frequencies. And as another poster said, the GK Head paired with a Hartke cab was often seen here in the US as well, given their nice match in sound capabilities.