Why become a member? ×

Time Is Running Out...

discreet

[b]Time Is Running Out...[/b]

Having composed an entry for July's Composition Competition, I was keen to do another one, but I just can't wait until August... :D[size=4] ...[/size][size=4]so here it is. [/size][size=4]I don't know enough about Electronic Dance Music to be able to tell you what particular sub-genre this would come under, but anyway...[/size]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mark-68-2/time-is-running-out"]https://soundcloud.c...-is-running-out[/url]

Play loud on decent monitors... if possible.
You can download the .WAV file from Soundcloud for maximum quality should you feel the need. ;)

Edited by discreet

Nice one, Mark! I can see it now, loads of people, chewing the lips off themselves, stomping their foot and punching the air in time to the beat, with lasers and fancy club lights dancing around the club. :D

I really need to get some of those sounds. Not that I'm in to EDM, I just think I could use them on some of my other tracks, like the one I made for this months composition competition.

Well done, mate :)

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1373892414' post='2142695']
That is Ace. Sounds totally pro. I listened to it in my car last night driving home from work and my head was really rockin it.
[/quote]

With a bag full of ketamine! :D

Edited by MiltyG565

Thanks for the comments guys! I would point out however that I don't condone the use of drugs, particularly for the purposes of staying up all night and dancing to young persons' 'beat music'. ;)

Edit: And as you're both on SoundCloud, please do feel free to 'Like' the track, 'Repost' it and leave a comment! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373892543' post='2142698']

With a bag full of ketamine! :D
[/quote]
Are you implying I'm a drug dealer. I mean who else drives home from "work" with a bag of ketamine? :D

Edit for smiley face.

Edited by the boy

Just had a listen to this on my lunch at work - like it! Reminds me of Leftfield. I think you and I take influence from a similar vein of '90s electronic dance music... :)

Sounds great too (I listened on earbuds). Really well produced; a nice sense of stereo and a well-proportioned low end [i](ooh matron!)[/i].

Q: you making these sounds from scratch or using libraries? (that's not taking anything away from it if it's the latter, btw. Far from it!). I'd be interested to know what synths you're using if so. Sounds a bit like NI Massive or maybe Predator? Very nice sounds, regardless.

Anyway, this stuff is right up my musical alley, so keep it coming Mark!

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1373896160' post='2142776']
Are you implying I'm a drug dealer. I mean who else drives home from "work" with a bag of ketamine? :D

Edit for smiley face.
[/quote]

No no, you would be going TO work with a bag of ketamine, and coming home with a bag of cash! :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1373898060' post='2142814']Q: you making these sounds from scratch or using libraries?[/quote]

Bit of both. Most of the drums sounds are single-shot library samples, but I make some of the swooshes and breakdown stuff myself. Synths on this track are reFX: Nexus, FL Studio Sytrus and FL Studio TS-404, which is a clone of the TB-303. Thanks for the positive comments, btw. :)

Edit: Funny you should say 90s electronic dance music... I was in an EDM outfit called Infinte Wheel at the time...
[url="http://www.discogs.com/artist/Infinite+Wheel%2C+The"]http://www.discogs.c...te+Wheel%2C+The[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1373921661' post='2143294']Bit of both. Most of the drums sounds are single-shot library samples, but I make some of the swooshes and breakdown stuff myself. Synths on this track are reFX: Nexus, FL Studio Sytrus and FL Studio TS-404, which is a clone of the TB-303. Thanks for the positive comments, btw. :)

Edit: Funny you should say 90s electronic dance music... I was in an EDM outfit called Infinte Wheel at the time...
[url="http://www.discogs.com/artist/Infinite+Wheel%2C+The"]http://www.discogs.c...te+Wheel%2C+The[/url]
=[/quote]

Sounds very much like how I work! I rarely produce drum sounds from scratch (I have a great drum designer, but it's finding the time to play with it...). Synths however I like to mess with by hand. Often to an obsessive degree :blink:

Those 303 sounds you use are fantastic mate. Unsurprisingly I'm a huge fan of the TB-303 (hence my username). I don't have a good emulator of it myself, although there's one available for Reason at around £40 or so. I still play with ReBirth from time to time - you might have used it yourself? - can't beat a bit of squelchy acid ;)

Interesting to hear you're using Fruity Loops. I have a mate who swears by that software. Though not as interesting as your 90's EDM excursion with Infinite Wheel! Cool stuff. I was a music hack during that decade - I worked for DJ Mag and our local rag up north, the Manchester Evening News. Great music and good times.

Anyway, keep these coming. They sound [i]great[/i]. I'm certainly a fan.

Thanks, mate... I've been using FL Studio since 2007. Just about getting to grips with it now! If it's good enough for Deadmau5 then it's good enough for me. ;) Never dabbled with Reason... it looks interesting though. I do have Predator and NI Massive in FL too, along with various clones... Wasp, Juno 60, SH-101, Mellotron, Minimoog... the usual suspects. :)

Do a lot of automation, too - every control in FL can be automated. I have to have everything moving, all the time! This is to cover up the fact that there is usually no vocal, no song, no arrangement and no tune! :D