Why become a member? ×

CIJ Mustang 2004/5 Plus 60's case
£550

Oggy

Hi Basschaters

A few weeks back I sold a ( almost brand new) Squire 'Medium Scale' Tele Bass to Pestie at the Bass Bash, lost a few quid but hey ho that's the way it goes my own fault for buying in haste. Pestie bought a couple of Basses along to the Bass Bash to show me, a Medium Scale Precision style that he made himself (very nice it is) and a Jap Medium Scale Jazz :gas: you guessed it 'Love at first sight, feel , play'. I resisted the temptation for about 2 minutes then made my intentions known to Pestie "one day that Jazz would be mine".

Over a couple of weeks and a few emails back and forth, money was transferred and - yes - she's now mine :) - "All Mine".

Now to pay for this lustful purchase I have to part with my trusty and well loved CIJ Mustang Short Scale Bass and the box she lives in and a really nice leather / suede strap that I bought in Copenhagen. When I bought the Mustang, 3 years ago on this very site, she had a red body and white perloid scratch plate - very surfin' band look. I had her refurbished by a luther in Milton Keynes called Andy Viccers, see [url="http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/"]http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/[/url]. Andy did a really nice job on her plus re-finished the body in nitrocellulose 'Vintage White' and fitted a new tortoise shell scratch plate - less surfin' and more blues. The case is a genuine 60's American Mustang Bass Case, complete with scratched, bumps, slight rust and all the knocks you would expect on a case this old - it does the job as well as it always did and has no special treatment from me - the older it gets the more Mojo it acquires.

I've checked the serial number of the Mustang against the 'guitar dating sites', it tells me that she was manufactured between 2004 and 2005 - check it out for yourself. I've currently got the action set pretty low and a set of flats on her, I'll supply a set of rounds with her if she sells in case that's a preference. I treat my stuff with respect and look after it so should this sell, whoever gets it will be getting a Bass that's been looked after, in extremely good condition and is well set up.

Anyway I'd like £550 for the Bass, Case, Strap and the alternative set of strings. I've attached some photos. I would prefer a local sale or 'halfway meet', couriers give me the chills.

I have to say that this is a reluctant sale, it was either the Mustang or the Gibson SG re-issue shortie, I'm still not really sure I'm selling the right one :unsure:.

Oggy

[attachment=138434:CIJ Mustang 2004:501.jpg][attachment=138435:CIJ Mustang 2004:502.jpg][attachment=138436:CIJ Mustang 2004:503.jpg][attachment=138437:CIJ Mustang 2004:504.jpg][attachment=138438:CIJ Mustang 2004:505.jpg][attachment=138439:CIJ Mustang 2004:506.jpg][attachment=138440:CIJ Mustang 2004:507.jpg][attachment=138441:CIJ Mustang 2004:508.jpg][attachment=138442:CIJ Mustang 2004:509.jpg][attachment=138443:CIJ Mustang 2004:510.jpg][attachment=138444:CIJ Mustang 2004:511.jpg][attachment=138445:CIJ Mustang 2004:512.jpg][attachment=138446:CIJ Mustang 2004:513.jpg][attachment=138447:CIJ Mustang 2004:514.jpg][attachment=138448:CIJ Mustang 2004:515.jpg][attachment=138449:CIJ Mustang 2004:516.jpg][attachment=138450:CIJ Mustang 2004:517.jpg][attachment=138451:CIJ Mustang 2004:518.jpg][attachment=138452:CIJ Mustang 2004:519.jpg][attachment=138453:CIJ Mustang 2004:520.jpg][attachment=138454:CIJ Mustang 2004:521.jpg][attachment=138455:CIJ Mustang 2004:522.jpg][attachment=138456:CIJ Mustang 2004:523.jpg][attachment=138457:CIJ Mustang 2004:524.jpg][attachment=138460:CIJ Mustang 2004:525.jpg][attachment=138458:CIJ Mustang 2004:526.jpg][attachment=138459:CIJ Mustang 2004:527.jpg]

I have seen, felt and played this little Beauty. The pics don't do it justice. It is lovely, the colour is all warm and rich, the sound out of this world. I didn't know such a small bass could be so rich and deep. I had the Pawnshop version which was not a patch on this. Buy it now. Tim is an excellent person to deal with. Honest, fair and straightforward, you can't go wrong here. I bought Tim's VM Tele Bass which is spot on and the transaction went like silk!!!!

Mike(Pestie) :) :rolleyes: :lol: :D :P

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

What with[b] 'cameltoe'[/b] telling me I'm "selling the wrong one" and Mike 'Pestie' giving the bass such a writeup - perhaps I should keep it under the bed for '[b]emergencies[/b]' :lol: .

Thank you Mike for your kind comment - you're a Gentleman. I'm having a great time with the Jap Jazz I bought from you and really looking forward to doing the course at the end of the month - I mustn't tell the grandchildren though.

Oggy

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1373390223' post='2137048']
What's the pickup like in it? I always find jap fenders to be lacking in the trousers.
[/quote]

Hi cocco

Difficult one! I suppose it depends on what you play it through, what flavour strings are on, what effects you use, what volume your playing at and how your amp graphics are set up, basically we are all just manipulating a sine wave that's produced by a metal string cutting through a magnetic field. For the last few years I've really only played the Mustang and a Gibson SG re-issue bass, the best description I can give you is that I find the Gibson deep and a tad muddy and the Mustang deep and punchy - but that's down to the way I set up all the variable mentioned above. I tend to favour flat-wounds so I recon that has loads to do with the sound produced - no real 'twang' to speak of. I have had a set of round-wounds on the mustang in the past but swapped them back to flats - a bit to lively for my taste.

When I'm practicing at home I use either a Tascam Bass Trainer - that has loads of effects and bass cut / boost settings so I can get some pretty fantastic sounds out of the Mustang. I also use a Roland Micro Cube Bass FX amp to play a bit at home (when the missis is out that is - It can get a bit loud) that again have every effect known to man on-board so - 'pick your sound'. When I'm playing out I have a few setups that I use - any combination of: 15" Barefaced Cab, Ashdown Mini 15", Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and Ashdown EVO II 300, I don't use effects although I'm toying with the idea of an Octaver for this new Jap Jazz I've acquired (Thank you Pestie). I like the bass to sound punchy but deep (I don't pop and slap, it's not what I play so I'm not sure you even could on these short scale basses) and in honesty I've had no complaints, except from one punter at a pub gig who said he felt like the bass was punching him in the chest. I've played in three piece bands now for several years so the bass does have a lot to do to fill the sound out, both the Mustang and the Gibson have done the job admirably.

So - in answer to your question: No she's not laking in the trouser department - perhaps a few other Jap Mustang (or just Jap Fender) owners would care to comment????????

Oggy

I've had a few jap fenders and found them lacking in the pickup department, in comparison to other fenders anyway, I had a 70 RI precision and a 66 RI jazz from Japan that were a lot lower output than similar Mexican offerings, it's a simple fix with a new pickup but obviously not many people make mustang pickups.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1373403550' post='2137279']
I've had a few jap fenders and found them lacking in the pickup department, in comparison to other fenders anyway, I had a 70 RI precision and a 66 RI jazz from Japan that were a lot lower output than similar Mexican offerings, it's a simple fix with a new pickup but obviously not many people make mustang pickups.
[/quote]

Hi cocco

You're probably right, I have no experience of an American or Mexican Mustang Bass so I'm not in a position to compare pickup output voltages.

I would have thought that turning up the volume / gain on the amp might compensate for lower input signal strength. I would be interesting to compare - I think :blink:, not sure why though.

Oggy

Nordstrand and Aero make replacement pickups for the Mustang if that's of any interest:
http://www.aeroinstrument.com/mustang.html
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Nordstrand_Pickups_Releases_NM4_Mustang_bass_Replacement_Pickups.aspx

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1373404852' post='2137317']
Nordstrand and Aero make replacement pickups for the Mustang if that's of any interest:
[url="http://www.aeroinstrument.com/mustang.html"]http://www.aeroinstr...om/mustang.html[/url]
[url="http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Nordstrand_Pickups_Releases_NM4_Mustang_bass_Replacement_Pickups.aspx"]http://www.premiergu...nt_Pickups.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

Hi ikay

You were quick off the mark - well done you.

It's not something that ever really crossed my mind - changing the pickups for higher output ones. I sort of go with what is fitted as standard on the beast I buy and I have to say that I've been more than happy with the performance of the pickups and the amps I've used, a few millivolts either way isn't going to worry me much as long as I get the sound I want.

Thanks for the info on the sites though, there might be other members who really do want to swap out their pups.

Oggt

• 4 months later...